News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Front fork overhaul tool

Started by tokalosh, October 05, 2015, 08:51:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tokalosh

I couldn't stomach the quote I got from the dealership, $300 plus parts, even though I had the forks off the bike for them.  :Topes

Was just having a poke around to find some fork overhaul wisdom, and found this thread:

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php?topic=10877.0

But the photos of the homemade tool are long gone ...

Anyone out there have the photos or a design for the fork service tool (3880090-T0301) ?  Malc?

I have removed the front forks and drained them.   I have ordered

- wire retaining clip
-dust seal
-oil seal

Advice on dis-assembly/ re-assembly pitfalls?

Currently in the Los Angeles area and I'm planning to finish the forks next weekend.
common sense just ain\'t so common these days
-------------------------------------------
\'06 Farkled Girly
(\'93 K75)
(\'95 Honda Sahara 350)

Bixxer Bob

I didn't use any special tool when doing mine but, then again, I didn't read the manual either, I just assumed they were like others I've worked on. I'm assuming it must be for  unbolting the internals.

What I did was crack off the allen bolt at the bottom of the fork leg while the spring pressure is on it before unscrewing the cap.  Then strip as before and then remove the previously loosened allen bolt to release the internals.  When re-assembling do the reverse but make sure you either fit new copper washers under the allen bolts or at least anneal the old ones to avoid leaks.  You should be able to do them up tight enough not to leak when you fill with oil, then give a final tighten when the cap is back on.  :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

iansoady

Even with new copper washers I always anneal them as they can be hard straight from the shop. Just heat to dull red then either quench in water or allow to cool naturally.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

tokalosh

Re-annealing it is then!

Thanks fellas.  Now to wait for the postman to arrive....
common sense just ain\'t so common these days
-------------------------------------------
\'06 Farkled Girly
(\'93 K75)
(\'95 Honda Sahara 350)

Bixxer Bob

Split your tool out Kenny so I could point to it  :thumbsup

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,15272.0.html
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...