News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Decent warm gloves

Started by pxm, October 05, 2015, 07:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pxm

Went for a ride this weekend (200 miles) & although I had the heated grips on low (high too hot on the palms), I couldn't feel my fingertips due to the cold.
My mate had some Richa Cold Protect GTX gloves & his hands were warm, he said.  At £100 a pair, they should be good though.

Can anyone recommend a decent pair of warm & waterproof gloves around the £60-80 mark?
2004 Tiger 955i, 1972 Norton Commando 750 Fastback
2016 Yamaha Tracer 900

motoOzarks

By the time you get gloves thick enough to be warm you won't feel your controls or your heated grips.

Comfy gloves with grip heaters, then use handlebar muffs.  They are inexpensive.

You won't want or need anything else to go sub freezing temps.

The warmest option for the money I've seen are mittens.

If you are willing to spend the bucks go heated gloves
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

nickjtc

"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

Sounds like those gloves have had it mate. The Triumph branded items are pretty good value and last at least three seasons.

Out of interest, what was your mate riding?  Three different bikes with the same gloves and I get three different results, not considering heated grips.

Something else to consider, is your circulation OK. Does warmth return quite quickly when you stop? Clothing tight underarm can reduce the blood flow dramatically as that's where the major artery passes.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

I just wimp out and choose not to ride when it gets too cold.  :icon_lol:

JayDub

One of the problems I found was the warmer the gloves the more my hands sweat, therefore making my hands colder - especially with waterproof gloves, Mittens are really good, handlebar muffs are the best, that's what my research has concluded  :nod
I used to ride all year round in all weathers when I didn't have a car... I don't ride in freezing conditions these days - I don't need to - I'm also a wimp, like Nick  :icon_lol:
Sin has a good point there... the back of my right hand, and my left index finger is cold from October to May due to poor circulation.
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

nickjtc

Quote from: JayDub on October 15, 2015, 09:02:01 PM
............ poor circulation.

Factor in that many riders hold onto the bars with a death grip, instead of riding relaxed, and it's no wonder we get cold hands. Heated grips, some kind of hand shield to keep the direct wind blast off or Hippo Hands
( http://www.hippohands.com/ ) might be the best answer, with well fitting, but not too bulky, gloves or mitts.

Bixxer Bob

A simple act that also helps is to make sure your handguards are adjusted properly.  They keep a lot of wind off in the right position.  Dont foul the levers though  :nono
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...