News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Clutch Cable Replacement, how easy?

Started by Snowcat73, October 06, 2015, 01:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowcat73

Just bought a 2004 Girly with a virtually snapped clutch cable, new one coming tomorrow, just wondering is it an easy fix, can I connect the new one to the old one and pull it through or does the tank etc have to come off to route it?

Sorry if it's a bit of a noob question but I've not looked at the job yet and just after a bit of advice.

Cheers

Dyn Blin

Good for you to catch it before you're stuck.

It can be threaded that way (I've done so), but there are a few angles in there, and if the prior owner happened to tie it off to other items, it'll go pear-shaped quickly.

If you haven't owned a tiger before, it's a good opportunity to pull the tank and see what you've got under there.  It's not a hard job, and there are resources on the board to assist.

Mine snapped at 36K, in the rain,  a 5 mile push from home.  I decided to beat the odds of being stuck again, so I bought two, & taped them together so if (ever) the next one goes, it can be inserted into the lever and engine case in a couple of seconds.
This is why we can't have nice things.

Chris Canning

It's an easy fix so long as you take the tank off.

Bixxer Bob

:iagree

Taking off the tank is the most daunting task for a noob, but go for it.  Once you have mastered this life gets a lot easier, if only because almost everything you have to do involves taking the tank off.  And the time spent faffing around not taking the tank off is ALWAYS longer than the time it takes to take the tank off.  Read up on it first and take your time.  It's written many times elsewhere but there are three golden rules:

1.  Run it almost empty if you can, they're effing heavy full.
2.  Have somewhere to put it down cleared before you lift it, it's bigger than it looks.
3.  Don't leave it off longer than you have to, they change shape under their own weight and are a bugger to re-fit otherwise.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Acerbis made tanks from a special blend of nylon known as MORPH.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

John Stenhouse

And hope that your fuel connectors shut off as they are supposed to.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Snowcat73

Job done, disconnected both ends, gave it a push and pull, seemed to be no snagging or restriction so cut off the above the angled tubing at the engine end, taped new to old, deep breath and went for it, straight through and no issues, happy days, time for a beer.

Chris Canning

It's had one on before then because the factory route under the tank you'd never do that in a million years,but interesting that having bought the bike you didn't want to lift the tank and save yourself a lot of grief in the future.

The old 955 is a great bike but I think the word is preventative maintenance  :icon_biggrin:

Snowcat73

Quote from: Chris Canning on October 07, 2015, 09:04:49 AM
It's had one on before then because the factory route under the tank you'd never do that in a million years,but interesting that having bought the bike you didn't want to lift the tank and save yourself a lot of grief in the future.

The old 955 is a great bike but I think the word is preventative maintenance  :icon_biggrin:
No it routed under the tank, they aren't attached anywhere so no problem, done this loads of times with aerials, electrical wiring, all sorts over the years, saved a lot of work.

Chris Canning

They all go under the tank it's the snake charming part where it's threaded round the back of the head stock and inbetween all the other bits and bobs attached to the frame,I had a major drama following the same route and that was with the tank off.

daveb

when I replaced my cable I bought 2 as I was off to France, so I put them in parallel with each other so if it snaps again its only a quick job to undo the old cable and rejoin the new cable.