News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Noisy Starter

Started by fraserdog, October 16, 2015, 09:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fraserdog

I went to look at buying a 2005 Girly with 16k on the clock the other night.Very nice bike and the price is right but one thing niggled me,when you hit the stater there was what i can only describe as a "dry sandpaper" noise monentarily before the starter engaged and the engine turned over and started,no noise while engine was running but when you turned the engine off the noise came back just as the engine stopped.The owner said it had always made that noise since he's owned it (approx 12months/3k miles).Is it possible the sprag is on its the way out?Would a failing sprag last 3k miles? It's a very clean bike and it seems a good buy but i don't want to be tripped up further down the line.Any info greatly appreciated.
1974 Honda CB500/4
1994 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Dyn Blin

Good news, if it is the sprag clutch, it's not a tough job on yours.  Try YouTube for some recordings of what they sound like when going pear shaped to try to diagnose.  It would be unusual if it's been making noise for that long to not have gone at this point.  Normally, it's more a loud clacking sound before they go under.
This is why we can't have nice things.

Bixxer Bob

And, unlike early Triples, the 955i is not known for sprag issues.  I had mine apart last summer, I can confirm it's a 2hr job, start to finish, including making tea, answering the phone etc etc......
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

fraserdog

It would seem strange for a sprag issue at 16k but i can't think what else could be causing the noise,it makes the same noise when the engine stops,does a sprag just make the noise on startup?
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Bixxer Bob

Mine sounded like this when it wasn't getting fuel:

When I took it apart it was a bit blue but otherwise ok. 
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

fraserdog

It just makes the noise momentarily before the starter cranks and starts the engine,it's certainly a strange one as it's definately not a clunking noise which i thought was associated with sprags.
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Bixxer Bob

Sprags don't clunk; it's a sort of higher pitched rattly whine as the rollers rattle rather than dig in and lock the clutch, caused by the thin retaining spring snapping.  (it's a bit like the spring inside an oil seal but bigger and goes right round the outside of the clutch to hold the rollers in place).

Can you U Tube a clip???

fraserdog

Sorry i was under the impression they made a clunking noise when they failed as per some of the older utube clips, that must have been just the older 900 engines. I can't upload anything as it's not my bike just one i'm thinking of buying but the noise is putting me off buying it.
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

motoOzarks

Quote from: fraserdog on October 17, 2015, 11:26:25 PM
It just makes the noise momentarily before the starter cranks and starts the engine,it's certainly a strange one as it's definately not a clunking noise which i thought was associated with sprags.

Noise before the starter cranks?  Meaning you hit the start button and it makes a noise and then cranks?  Does the sound go away when cranking?

It does it when the engine shuts down?  turn the key off, engine dies, then sound?

Is it a faint enough sound to be drowned out while the engine is running?  Meaning you know it's not doing it the whole time?

Is it obvious it is a starter noise?  Sandpaper noise like spark scatter?  Like striking an arc with a welder?  Or a spinning or movement against something scraping sound?

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

fraserdog

It makes the noise just before the starter cranks but goes away when cranking and engine runnning then just before the engine stops turning after shutdown it does it again,definately not electrical/sparking related.
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

motoOzarks

"its dunnit the whole time"  = you figure it out

Have them fix it so it doesn't make noise or move on.  Otherwise it will obviously bother you
and that's not worth any price since you already have a Girly.

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

fraserdog

Well I did the deal on the bike and will pick it up next week  :icon_smile:
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a