News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

pruned from steamers or /what size is my tool ?

Started by ssevy, October 24, 2015, 02:37:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssevy

Just read in the new MCN that Motion Pro is now offering JIS bits for screwdriver handles. Should be easier to find (and less $) than the Vessel screwdrivers.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

iansoady

here: https://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/workshop__and__tools/motocross_tools/motocross_t-handle_tools/motion_pro_t-handle_bit_driver_with_phillips_bits.

I must admit I was never fully aware of the difference between JIS and Phillips till this thread but always wondered why the latter drivers never seemed to fit properly.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

JayDub

So, if we have Philips and JIS, - where does Pozidrive come into it? what is the physical difference between JIS & Philips (and JIS & Pozidrive come to that)  :icon_scratch:
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

iansoady

Pozidriv drivers definitely ruin JIS screws.........
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

JayDub

I've never heard of 'JIS'... yet it seems I must have been using them for the last 35+ yrs  :icon_redface: but then I always make sure a screwdriver is a solid tight fit before putting any pressure on.  I usually learn from my mistakes  :icon_study:
Any chew-ups are mostly caused when its been over-tightened and/or a lack of copper grease.

JoeDirt

Quote from: JayDub on October 25, 2015, 03:08:00 PM
I've never heard of 'JIS'... yet it seems I must have been using them for the last 35+ yrs  :icon_redface: but then I always make sure a screwdriver is a solid tight fit before putting any pressure on.  I usually learn from my mistakes  :icon_study:
Any chew-ups are mostly caused when its been over-tightened and/or a lack of copper grease.

JIS - Japanese Industry Standard

Yea, the Japanese even made the our stock brakes. They obviously went down a different path than the IFI (International Fastener Institute). I will give them one thing they look like the JIS ones have a better 'bite'.

I'll take a HEX or Torx over Phillips head any day.

iansoady

Just ordered some of these: http://www.onlyqualitytools.com/catalog/Vessel/Double-Ended_Power_Bits.html which are a lot cheaper than the full screwdrivers. They are said to be dual JIS / Phillips so assume they are the former as they will also fit the latter according to the Vessel website.

That tool place is unusual in charging low carriage so have bookmarked it for the future. We'll see what the bits are like when they arrive......
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

nickjtc

"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Nick Calne

Why did Triumph use a screwdriver type fixing in the first place? And why torx too? Surely cheaper easier simpler for all to go hex throughout? Also why so many materials and styles on a typical bike?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

JoeDirt

Quote from: NickVladivostock on October 26, 2015, 10:55:49 PM
Why did Triumph use a screwdriver type fixing in the first place? And why torx too? Surely cheaper easier simpler for all to go hex throughout? Also why so many materials and styles on a typical bike?

I have worked in companies that use a lot of fasteners. I have even spec'ed out new screws and what-not. The thinking always is... if it isn't broke don't fix it. It is easy to "grandfather" things out of a company over time without applying resources/time/money to change all of their fasteners to the latest style. Triumph in this case has been around for a long time and almost wasn't around in the 70's. I hope and like to think, it has to with spending engineering resources on new bikes instead of these "service issues". I say service issues, because the engineers and the managers see it such.

Just my opinion.

JayDub

I spose its just to steer the half hearted DIY'ers toward the dealers Nick.

motoOzarks

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

John Stenhouse

Why? They seem to be screwing it up nicely without.  :ImaPoser
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

iansoady

Quote from: JoeDirt on October 26, 2015, 11:12:01 PM

Triumph in this case has been around for a long time and almost wasn't around in the 70's. I hope and like to think, it has to with spending engineering resources on new bikes instead of these "service issues". I say service issues, because the engineers and the managers see it such.

Just my opinion.

But the current Triumph has nothing in common with the Meriden company other than the name. All the bikes have been designed from the ground up in the last 20 years or so.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650