News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

pruned from steamers or /what size is my tool ?

Started by ssevy, October 24, 2015, 02:37:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iansoady

The 850 Commando I had for 20 years had a number of studs / bolts etc holding the cylinder head on. These were all UNF except the one down at the back under the carbs which was 3/8" Cycle and was impossible to tighten unless you'd made your own specially cranked and thinned spanner. Of course, Cycle being 26 tpi and UNF 24 it was fairly easy to get the wrong nut on (eg from the cylinder base) and just think it was a bit tight till the thread was ruined.

Then you had to somehow get the nut off, remove the head again and fit a new stud.......

Not that I'd ever do such a thing of course.

Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

nickjtc

Quote from: iansoady on October 30, 2015, 04:45:59 PM
These were all UNF except the one down at the back under the carbs which was 3/8" Cycle and was impossible to tighten unless you'd made your own specially cranked and thinned spanner. Of course, Cycle being 26 tpi and UNF 24 it was fairly easy to get the wrong nut on (eg from the cylinder base) and just think it was a bit tight till the thread was ruined

As others have said before: "What were they thinking??? :icon_scratch:"

I have to confess that faffing around with different spanners (along with all of their other idiosyncrasies.... pre-unit transmission etc.) contributed to the (easy) decision to let the Nortons go. The fact that I needed the dosh for a down payment on a house was irrelevant, of course.  :augie
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"