News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

your advice plz, Darling need more love and attention (update)

Started by klingklang, November 12, 2015, 02:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klingklang

hello guys,  like to your opinions on the following. I'd like to make my mind...

885i tiger with 120000km

Cylinder 3 intake valves recessed at a point that one will need a 2.05 from 2.15 shim witch are probably the thinner I could put.  I go for it or I look for a new cylinder head on ebay. If I go that way, what are the other triumph with the same head to raise my chances on the bay.   My mind in mixed in emotion,  the Time boss say put the shim, put the shim and the Equipment manager say put the head, put the head..so I left the meetings and went to the bathroom to ask.

will I need to change the stud also or they are good (did not check in the manual yet)

Where that psy phone number again.....

JayDub

** You edited this while I was writing a reply... now it doesn't mention the in/ex sprockets being the wrong way around?
are they OK after all?
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

klingklang

yep, while taking pic, and turning the cam to take the number, I notice that there is also an inscription for the in and ex the other side and understood then it was for the gear position. You were faster than me..... :icon_redface:

JayDub

:icon_biggrin: I must be having a good day... It was a great answer too, never mind. 

I would be looking to either get a replacement head  or the valve seats re-cut... probably the first, If you just pop in another shim then it would give you time to source a good replacement head, the studs should be fine if they look good
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

Sasquatch

My 01 955i did this.  All the intake valves would be negative clearance within 10k miles of an adjust.  Discovered that Triumph had an issue with soft valves that would "tulip" rapidly.  I found a used head almost 30k miles ago and it resolved the issue.
Sasquatch
adventurepowersports.us

klingklang

@sasquatch

What i should expect in job hours?   Beside the head gasket,  what would I need for the job.  I want to buy everything at once and have it shipped to an address i have in US.  Canada is the third world for this.   Any advice on what to check or ask to an ebay sellers.  I don't want to buy an head that is like mine

Tips or hint ?

Sasquatch

It has been a long time since I did it.  Intake and exhaust gaskets, VC gasket, valve shims, head gasket, coolant, oil, new plugs.  Pretty straight forward.  I did it in frame, but dropping the motor would have been easier and it is easy to drop.  Get the manual, it will help with all the torque specs.
Sasquatch
adventurepowersports.us

JoeDirt

Quote from: Sasquatch on November 13, 2015, 02:08:43 AM
I did it in frame, but dropping the motor would have been easier and it is easy to drop.

I agree with Sasquatch... I have replaced my head three times. First time, I pulled the engine completely out. Second and third time, I pulled the head out the right side of the frame. It was quicker doing it in the frame and the torques were tougher but not impossible. Keep in mind, it is easier to shim your head while its on the bench. It also helps to not drop stuff down inside the engine.  :thumbsup

As far as eBay goes, I bought 3 heads off eBay. When bikes get parted out on eBay, they have been in a collision of some sort. Look for the two screw ears on left rear corner of the head. They can be broken off. Get another head from another Tiger. I know that sounds obvious but some sellers really don't know what they are selling. Get one with the cams that came with it. That way you can better judge the condition of the head. Also, if they have pictures of the bare bearing surfaces... really zoom in on the pictures. If not, ask for more pictures. One more thing is to see if they have video of the bike running before disassembly.

klingklang

Thanks to all.   I am looking for a T1150710 cylinder head assy,  1150700 embossed on the block, that fit 99-00 tiger and 97-01 speed triple.  Beside that what is the difference for the others, look pretty much the same, cylinder diameter?

I had an eyes on this one but wont fit I think
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262137708980

second choice: 2001 speed triple. so it should work.  On both Ads I've asked for the number written on the head and the mileage on this one. expensive if I compare to the other one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380465710893

JoeDirt

Quote from: klingklang on November 13, 2015, 02:36:22 PM
second choice: 2001 speed triple. so it should work.  On both Ads I've asked for the number written on the head and the mileage on this one. expensive if I compare to the other one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380465710893

That second one was on eBay when I was working on my cylinder head. It's been on eBay almost a year... I was afraid to buy it because it looked like they got crazy with the sand blaster on the head gasket surface. It might be fine but the reflections off the edges look soft, almost rounded.  :^_^

klingklang

hum.... good to know. this is why i like this forum.  anyway, they both answered and don't have the same part number that i have on mine written on the block .  I think i'll follow my quest.

JoeDirt

http://www.tankslap.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3226

There's a guy in the UK selling that casting number for 89£. He works for Triumph and has been raiding the dumpster... He says that he wants to keep it in the community...

I am willing to bet someone from the UK might be a member of TankSlap.co.uk   :icon_biggrin:

klingklang

Hey joe,  thanks for the hint.  I've just registered and waiting confirmation.  I will write to him the minute I am allowed.

klingklang

Please guys,  what do you think go or no go? I've asked for mileage. good contact wit the seller.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221943562827

JoeDirt

Quote from: klingklang on November 17, 2015, 05:06:22 PM
Please guys,  what do you think go or no go? I've asked for mileage. good contact wit the seller.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221943562827

Same guys I bought my 2000'ish mile Cylinder Head from... :thumbsup

I got the head, buckets and cams for 200£. You might ask them if they know the miles.

<BTW... I'm starting to think we were separated at birth... > :ImaPoser