News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Quick connect issues

Started by Advwannabe, November 14, 2015, 02:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Advwannabe

I have a slow leak out of the bottom (grey) quick connect fitting. It is only slow drip,but putting a new o ring on hasn't fixed it. Could the fitting that screws into the tank be the problem?

I recall back in the day the quick connect fittings were plastic, but then replaced with metal in a factory recall. The fitting that screws into the tank is still plastic though.
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

KuzzinKenny

Hey Advwannabe !! Have a looky here................

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php?topic=5670.0

this should give ya everything ya need  :thumbsup

thanks  EvilBetty for this info  :notworthy

KK   
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Advwannabe

Thanks Kuz ( and Evil Betty)

I take it from your answer that the stock tank fitting is crap and not worth mucking about with, roger that.

Cheers
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

KuzzinKenny

Almost forgot  :icon_rolleyes: mark the fuel lines before ya remove them so ya know what goes where  :thumbsup

there was a recall for the fuel lines but i think they only replaced one of the parts  :^_^

good luck

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

iansoady

Quote from: KuzzinKenny on November 15, 2015, 02:17:27 AM
Almost forgot  :icon_rolleyes: mark the fuel lines before ya remove them so ya know what goes where
good luck

KK

It doesn't actually matter which way round they go.......
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Chris Canning

I'm just gobsmacked there's anyone that still has the stock plastic fuel connectors on their bike like riding around on a hand grenade how the hell no one has ever been killed I'll never know.

nickjtc

Quote from: Chris Canning on November 15, 2015, 11:17:11 AM
I'm just gobsmacked there's anyone that still has the stock plastic fuel connectors on their bike like riding around on a hand grenade how the hell no one has ever been killed I'll never know.

Just noticed this thread. Rhoda the roadie still has the stock fuel connectors, but they 'seem' to be ok. I guess I should start doing some research into more durable ones..........
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: nickjtc on December 08, 2015, 05:18:01 AM

Just noticed this thread. Rhoda the roadie still has the stock fuel connectors, but they 'seem' to be ok. I guess I should start doing some research into more durable ones..........

In conversation with a Triumph mechanic on this subject. The stock Roadie connections are good (same on the Sprint, Speed etc. allegedly), only the O ring gets damaged through poor handling, he always keeps a handful in the workshop.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on December 08, 2015, 03:19:05 PM
In conversation with a Triumph mechanic on this subject. The stock Roadie connections are good (same on the Sprint, Speed etc. allegedly), only the O ring gets damaged through poor handling, he always keeps a handful in the workshop.

Good to know. Thanks.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

PeteH

Replaced my fuel tank fittings just the before the big meet up a d all was good, shortly after the top one started leaking so ordered some O rings ....fitted one on the leaking one and all was good again. Started her up just before chrimbo and its leaking again aaaarrrgggghhhh :(
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

PeteH

Looks that way but need to get her in the shed for further investigation, but the fuel appears to be running down the same pipe :(

Dyn Blin

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on December 08, 2015, 03:19:05 PM
...he always keeps a handful in the workshop.

2 years ago, I had to pull the tank on a buddy's bike  40 miles from nowhere after snapping a clutch cable and finding the prior owner had zip-tied it to various points on the frame..   Between sand & rain, I "poorly handled" the job and somehow nicked the ring, resulting in a steady stream of fuel when the pump primed.  We tried a couple of tricks- 1st with liberal coating of lip balm, that failed , then tried a few wraps of Teflon tape (I can't recall how that got into my bag)- that leaked, so then a thin strip of  silicone tape stretched over the o-ring.  I'm still not sure it sealed -tough to tell in the downpour, but it let us get to an tractor-shop in the next tiny town to source a proper o-ring without catching fire.

Since then I always have kept a few in my kit-bag.  Never needed them, but likely will the minute I take them out.

For the tribal knowledge database:  Viton *or*  Buna-N O-Ring Spec:  Inside Diameter = 5/16″ (7.93mm) , Outside Diameter: 7/16″ (11.11mm)

Don't source them from a dealer, too dear.  You can get a bag of 100 from a couple of bucks from McMaster Carr or WW Grainger in the US.  Or  RS Components  for our UK brothers, 5 pounds for 50, and have many spares for friends.
This is why we can't have nice things.

JoeDirt

Quote from: Dyn Blin on December 29, 2015, 11:10:09 PM
For the tribal knowledge database:  Viton *or*  Buna-N O-Ring Spec:  Inside Diameter = 5/16″ (7.93mm) , Outside Diameter: 7/16″ (11.11mm)

CONFIRMED - I spec'ed out the exact size back 3 years ago. I bought 100 and I used about a total 10 since. Brown Viton same dimensions as above.

Pro tip: don't ask Dyn if you can use his chapstick... you don't know where it's been. :icon_razz:

PeteH

Finally got her in the shed to check out the fuel fitting and its as I thought, top fitting leaks :( tried swapping them and it still leaked.
So I have one spare viton ring that I will swap this week and will keep my fingers crossed.....but as an after thought does the 885i need both feeds to the fuel rail ? As later 955's only have one out!et from the pump.....

Oh, and after spending a couple of months on the patio uncovered the chains decided it's had enough :(.....bit pissed off now....