News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Antifreeze

Started by RumRunnerGuy, November 20, 2015, 03:58:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RumRunnerGuy

Just curious to see what all of you guys are using for Antifreeze in your bikes?

motoOzarks

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

Mustang

50/50 premix
either prestone or store brand (ie Autozone)
works just fine

RumRunnerGuy

JoeDirt

Quote from: RumRunnerGuy on November 20, 2015, 03:58:20 AM
Just curious to see what all of you guys are using for Antifreeze in your bikes?

I've been using WaterWetter by Red Line, It costs twice as much as 50/50... Red Line claims it runs cooler.

I found a datasheet from their website saying how they tested it:
http://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/WaterWetter%20Tech%20Info.pdf

I want to go to 50/50 just for the cost alone. It's all ethylene glycol and water, RIGHT?

BTW, they sell it on amazon.com

motoOzarks

If it's not running hot why does it need to run cooler?

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

JoeDirt

Quote from: motoOzarks on November 20, 2015, 04:17:50 PM
If it's not running hot why does it need to run cooler?

There's a direct linear proportion to heat versus friction.

RumRunnerGuy

Quote from: JoeDirt on November 20, 2015, 03:04:56 PM
I've been using WaterWetter by Red Line, It costs twice as much as 50/50... Red Line claims it runs cooler.

I found a datasheet from their website saying how they tested it:
http://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/WaterWetter%20Tech%20Info.pdf

I want to go to 50/50 just for the cost alone. It's all ethylene glycol and water, RIGHT?

BTW, they sell it on amazon.com

I'm a huge proponent to Redline products, but it's my understanding that if you buy the jugs of Water Wetter that is premixed they DO NOT have any type of antifreeze in them so if you're in a colder climate they're not the best choice.

JoeDirt

Quote from: RumRunnerGuy on November 20, 2015, 05:49:54 PM
I'm a huge proponent to Redline products, but it's my understanding that if you buy the jugs of Water Wetter that is premixed they DO NOT have any type of antifreeze in them so if you're in a colder climate they're not the best choice.

Good thing you we live in the South.

BTW, you answered your own thread...  :augie

RumRunnerGuy

Quote from: JoeDirt on November 20, 2015, 06:03:27 PM
Good thing you we live in the South.

BTW, you answered your own thread...  :augie

Glad it doesn't freeze in NC, cause here in the North GA mountains we get ice. 

As far as answering my own message just trying to see if guys were using Trumpet fluids or another cycle specific since is the first water cooled street bike that I've had.

Mustang

Quote from: RumRunnerGuy on November 20, 2015, 06:20:29 PM
Glad it doesn't freeze in NC, cause here in the North GA mountains we get ice. 

As far as answering my own message just trying to see if guys were using Trumpet fluids or another cycle specific since is the first water cooled street bike that I've had.
you can use whatever you would pour in your car .
wal-mart brand works just as well as more expensive stuff.
the key is to change it every other year, at the minimum .

JayDub

Quote from: RumRunnerGuy on November 20, 2015, 03:04:05 PM
No reason to waste good hooch in the bike.
Its OK, he drains it in the spring and drinks it :augie That right MO?
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

JayDub

Quote from: Mustang on November 20, 2015, 07:22:06 PM
you can use whatever you would pour in your car .
wal-mart brand works just as well as more expensive stuff.
the key is to change it every other year, at the minimum .
I remember that some antifreeze would attack alloy, but seeing as most engines are alloy now,  then I assume all antifreeze manufacturers have adapted... I spose it helps to read the label just the same
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

Sasquatch

All antifreeze types are not equal.  While they all will protect from freezing/boiling and from corrosion, some just work better and last longer.  I use Prestone G05 that is designed for European cars mixed with Distilled water (very important) at a 50/50 ratio.  G05 lasts longer than anything on the market.  Being a European car nut, I always have it on the shelf.  It is only a couple of dollars more than regular stuff.  Not worth it to skimp in my book.

If you flush your system every couple of years even the cheapest green stuff will work fine.  I just like the added peace of mind that using the best offers me.  (remember to use only distilled water though...)
Sasquatch
adventurepowersports.us

RumRunnerGuy

Thanks for the feedback.