News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Clive Woods T3 Course

Started by Bixxer Bob, November 22, 2015, 09:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Again, Clive is of the opinion that these engines are good for upwards of 150k as long as they get rgular oil changes.   The days of needing to replace rings and hone bores are long gone.  In his experience they don't need any more than a slight scuffing of the bores if there's any glaze.  You'll probably find the original hone marks are still visible, which is an indication of how little wear there is.  Whilst I concur witht he idea that you should do everything that needs doing while you're in there, there';s no point in throwing money at it.

You say "oil usage";  how much and are you sure it's bores?  (blue smoke on acceleration)  Valve guides perhaps (blue smoke on overrun) or simply just a leak somewhere???  How many miles has it done??

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sparky

I bought the bike March 2014 with 39,400 miles it now has 42,500 miles. 

I did a 2500 mile oil change interval and the level went from the top mark to just below the bottom mark.  There are no oil leaks the bike lives in the garage and does not mark it's spot.  The only visible smoke is on the occasional cold start and overrun, nothing noticeable under power.  The cold start has a slight haze to the exhaust this is not consistent though some days it's hazier than others.  The overrun is the most noticeable after a down hill coast off throttle when you get on the throttle there is a not so nice puff of blue which is usually valve seals.

I don't have a problem with an engine using some oil I think in my case this is excessive and points to a problem I should fix.  I don't like the puff of blue after a down hill run and I think this may be the reason for the oil usage.
1998 Steamer. Sold, replaced with a 2016 Africa Twin.
1982 Honda FT 500 Ascot,  1983 Honda VT 500 Ascot

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on December 01, 2015, 10:32:15 PM
Valve guides / seals  :nod

I concur. Had that problem with an '85 Rabbit convertible I once had. On over-run there were no bugs left alive within a half mile radius because of all of the smoke.  :icon_lol:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sparky

Quote from: nickjtc on December 02, 2015, 12:03:30 AM

I concur. Had that problem with an '85 Rabbit convertible I once had. On over-run there were no bugs left alive within a half mile radius because of all of the smoke.  :icon_lol:

Must be an 80's thing as the Honda Civics of that vintage were famous for bad valve seals.
1998 Steamer. Sold, replaced with a 2016 Africa Twin.
1982 Honda FT 500 Ascot,  1983 Honda VT 500 Ascot

threepot

A while back,you could buy oil additives that replenished/rejuvenated oil seals,guides etc. Worth a look? :augie
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Bixxer Bob

I also agree.  Valve seals are still a head off job though so you'll have a chance to look around inside to be sure nothing's amiss and the liners will have to be re-seated when you put it back together.  Since you'll be going that far another Clive tip:  replace the gudgeon pins and circlips.  They are cheap and the only bits that wear significantly  leading to what sounds like little end rattle.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: threepot on December 02, 2015, 09:19:26 AM
A while back,you could buy oil additives that replenished/rejuvenated oil seals,guides etc. Worth a look? :augie

Snake / Dragon oil mate. All these additives can do is remove some hydrocarbon deposits such as gum, not the harder stuff. If a seal is hard or cracked said additives can actually make things worse.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rybes

ive heard a little bit of brake fluid makes seals swell up a bit. never tried it meself so couldnt say either way.
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: rybes on December 03, 2015, 08:46:46 PM
ive heard a little bit of brake fluid makes seals swell up a bit. never tried it meself so couldnt say either way.

Not a great idea mate, when seals go soft by using it, they will keep on softening as there is nothing to arrest the process. Brake fluid has a low flash point, adding that to your lubrication system is not really recommended.