News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel tap

Started by threepot, November 23, 2015, 07:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threepot

Having an issue with fuel tap recently. Bike suffers from fuel starvation,but when I change position,it clears. I've read that it could be the filters,and that they can be removed? What about re-sealing the tap after removal? Thanks
95 Super111
96 Tiger

London_Phil

I just pulled the normal one off the brass tube, and the reserve pulled out of the tap body. Put a new seal on the body and used a small amount of some petrol proof sealant from Halfords. They were definitely causing issues

JayDub

Mine looked like a new rubber seal, so I used fuel resistant sealant like Phil... almost 2 yrs on there's no leaks... the gauze filters were already removed on mine - they get clogged and collapse - also take out the one at the T-piece if you haven't already, and don't forget to fit an in-line filter after the tap.

Sin_Tiger

It's usually the little nylon gauzes on the ends of the tubes collapsing, I experienced it on several occasions, identified following Mustangs advice  :thumbsup  I personally advocate removing them completely and the hidden little bugger in the inlet pipe in favour of an external one fitted just under the tap. Means you can tell when you've got crud and sort it quickly. Done this on all my steamers now and haven't had a problem. Taking the tap off is easy enough, just the two screws going into the tank body, super careful putting them back of course. All I have done so far the rubber gasket is still in remarkably good shape and I've resused. Be prepared for a scary amount of crud to come out and I recommend a good flush of the tank while you have teh tap off.

The only issue I have had with this is fitting a filter with the U bend in the carb pipe. The shortest filter I have found is the K & N one P/N 81-0221 I see they are doing a bigger range now. I have seen a picture of a 90 deg item which Hein Gericke sell that might also be a good solution, at less than £4 I might just get a couple and carry one as a spare under the seat.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Sin_Tiger

That's so cheap is hardly worth cleaning.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint