News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Non OEM, after market gaskets.

Started by nickjtc, November 29, 2015, 02:16:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

So, I've switched the Suzuki for the Tiger in the back bedroom, again. It's amazing that the Tiger is 21kg lighter than the Suzuki. They must have made them out of cast iron in the old days!

Everything has to come off the top end again so that I can check/change the valve stem oil seals. All fun and games. If nothing else it will give me a chance to double check the valve timing. :icon_lol:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Bixxer Bob

Another Clive Woods gem:  if the sprocket arrows don't exactly line up, just take a photo of them before you strip so you can put them back where they were BUT.....  the arrows not aligning is a symptom of cam chain wear.  He reckoned he could tell when the chain needed changing by the amount of misalignment but I can't remember the crucial bit of info, which is by how much. 

Incidentally, and it's logic when you think about it,  cam chain stretch will always result in the left sprocket arrow being higher than the right
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nickjtc

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on February 01, 2016, 11:20:40 AM
Incidentally, and it's logic when you think about it,  cam chain stretch will always result in the left sprocket arrow being higher than the right

Noted. Suzuki in their infinite wisdom choose to do the timing marks as horizontal on the exhaust cam shaft sprocket  (to align with the cylinder head mating surface) and vertical on the inlet exhaust camshaft sprocket.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"