News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Digital Gear Indicator Thingy

Started by nickjtc, December 05, 2015, 04:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

Anyone ever put one of these on their bike?

I see that (when it gets here) there are several connecting wires. Two are obviously for + and ground; the description for the rest is vague, at best.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

JayDub

So this what you came up with as our winter entertainment Nick  :^_^ ......  :new_popcornsmiley
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

JoeDirt

Nickjtc,

I was looking at those on eBay. I know there is a company named Healtech and they make one called the GIpro. Theirs works through the speed-o-meter sensor connector. I have noticed other ones on the internet/eBay that were a LED with a wire harness only. I think those work with the bikes diagnostics port. I personally did not buy one because I didn't want a loose wire hanging from my "tune port" and I don't  think the speed of the front wheel is a good means of knowing what gear I'm suppose to be in.

Healtech site: http://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/gipro/

They make different versions of gear shift thingies and they have PDF instructions for each style.

Sparky

My Dad has one on his 2012 CBF1000, not sure how it connects I'll have to ask him.

Don't take this the wrong way but why do you need to know what gear the bike is in ?  I shift up or down as required and if it will not go any further then I'm in 1st gear or top gear.
1998 Steamer. Sold, replaced with a 2016 Africa Twin.
1982 Honda FT 500 Ascot,  1983 Honda VT 500 Ascot

motoOzarks

Digital Gear Indicator Thingy is not a need based issue.

I doubt that is the point.
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

JayDub

I had one on an old Suzuki gs, I liked it, not used one for 20 odd years but would like one some times, just to check if I am in top... maybe Joe dirt could design me a top gear indicator, I'd have a go myself but its not an easy task being colour blind :-S
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

Sin_Tiger

I fitted the Acumen one on both a Vara and the Roadie. Both simple and worked a treat. Arguably you don't need one but my mental arithmetic is slow, so seeing 6 is a handy reminder that I didn't have anymore gears.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Sparky on December 05, 2015, 09:53:26 PM
Don't take this the wrong way but why do you need to know what gear the bike is in ?  I shift up or down as required and if it will not go any further then I'm in 1st gear or top gear.

Of course.

But my problem is two fold. I get lost in the rapture of the ride many times. And at such an occasion, and because Rhoda is so smooooth, I have found myself toodling down the road at speed in 5th and sometimes 4th gear.

Not a big problem, especially since compared to Stanley the Steamer she sips fuel, but I do need something to do over the winter.....

It arrived today, coincidentally. Apart from the black and red wires there is a yellow one to be plumbed into the tachometer circuit, a greed (sic) one to be plumbed into the speedometer circuit, and an orange one to be plumbed into the neutral circuit. Plus a white one which is for leam (sic)/set-up.

All fun and games. Stay tuned.

nickjtc

Quote from: JayDub on December 05, 2015, 05:14:57 PM
So this what you came up with as our winter entertainment Nick  :^_^ ......  :new_popcornsmiley

Yes, especially working in an unheated garage when it is -10c outside! :augie

Sin_Tiger

When you do the learning process, put the front wheel against a wall and have a friend or two stand either side. Not me but I know one person had wee incident  :nap
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on December 06, 2015, 10:40:50 AM
When you do the learning process, put the front wheel against a wall and have a friend or two stand either side. Not me but I know one person had wee incident  :nap

Thank you for that tip, kind sir!!

Bixxer Bob

And take pics.  I've had one of these lying around in the garage so long I've lost the instructions.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nickjtc

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on December 06, 2015, 08:21:29 PM
And take pics.  I've had one of these lying around in the garage so long I've lost the instructions.....

All righty. Now I've got to get my @r$# in gear and install the thing

motoOzarks

Quote from: nickjtc on December 07, 2015, 01:57:13 AM
got to get my @r$# in gear and install the thing

What does your @r$# in gear use for an indicator thingy?

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

nickjtc

Quote from: motoOzarks on December 07, 2015, 02:57:43 AM
What does your @r$# in gear use for an indicator thingy?

Ah, that's different. It has been attached to me for 60 years so I am intimately acquainted with its operation!!  :icon_rolleyes: