News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

This doesn't look good but might explain my clutch issues-looks like water to me

Started by benebob, December 06, 2015, 12:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benebob

So I pulled the starter cover off tonight and found it filled with this stuff.  Have always had a coolant smell with the bike (was convinced here that it was likely just coming from the overflow tank).  In 15k and 3 years I have added a total of 1/2 a liter of coolant (just to top it off about annually).  Have always had a little froth when I check the oil but I am also one that does a good bit of short trips (under 2 miles).  Bike has never been overheated.  Temp usually runs at a 1/4  normally, never above  1/2 even in traffic.  Never an evidence of external coolant drips. Aside from the shifting issues it runs like a top Mine is a late 06 with lots of 1050 bits on it. Where should I look first?

99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

JoeDirt

benebob

Didn't drain it but from the dipstick it looks like 2000-2500 mile oil.  A little darker but not bad.  There has always been a bit of "milk along the top of the dipstick but  I don't notice any froth.  Rode it down to dc and back for breakfast this morning (about 300 miles total and it ran fine in the sub zero temps) but should have warmed up emough to burn any condensation build up right.  Of course I filled the tank before putting it in the garage to do this tonight so I really don't want to  take the tank off.
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

JoeDirt

Minus the fact it looks very gross...

My first thought is a slow anti-freeze leak. I have a guess what it might be. How many miles on engine?

benebob

13 Tiger 800

JoeDirt

Including mechanics, have you ever had the engine open? Example... removed the head replaced rings, engine sleeves?

benebob

Noda, at least that I know of, bought it with 8k on the odo so I would doubt it needed anything prior
13 Tiger 800

JoeDirt

benebob

Noda, just Mobil 1 4t though the next change will be with castrol 4t as it was 1/2 the price for a 6 pack so figured it was worth a try
13 Tiger 800

JoeDirt

I would like some of these other guys to chime in...

I think you have a slow antifreeze leak getting in your oil. But, your bike doesn't have that many miles and I don't think you have a cracked block or head.

You definitely found your clutch slipping problem. :thumbsup

benebob

That was my first thought but there was so much water in there I couldn't possibly see it being coolant though as I have only put in at best a 1/2 liter in 3 years.  No coolant smell at all and it didn't have the sweet taste of coolant either.

It isn't slipping, it is sticking. 

I would be very hesitant as well as 10k of those miles came in a 3 week period.  I do lots of short trips on it and do ride in cold weather (23 degrees when I left for dc this morning)
13 Tiger 800

KuzzinKenny

Hey benebob !! I think you've answered yer own ? looks to me like emulsified oil due to short trips in very cold conditions and cos the rest of the oil is clear and no smell of anti-freeze !! do you ever get the fan to come on ?? i sometimes let me bike sit after a cold run to get the fan to run then switch it off, that way it has been up to temp before it goes back in the shed  :icon_biggrin:

hope thats all thats wrong  :thumbsup

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

benebob

The fan comes on rarely.  I'm thinking I might just let it idle til the fan comes on tomorrow then add a little more oil and some risoline leaving the clutch lever in let it run for a couple minutes then change the oil out.  My old cb650sc used to need me to cover the oil cooler for winter riding and the rear dif would foam over every so often.  I did pop a seal from condensate freezing up in it but that was in sub zero high temps that day.   my cb175 had no issues with running in the cold but of course it ran pretty high up in the rev range.  I just haven't seen this much water in any of my bikes before.  I'm still not up to physically attempting a hg so I surely hope that isn't the issue.

13 Tiger 800

KuzzinKenny

Hey benebob !! If its that cold, why not try a partial cover over the front of the radiator just to block off some airflow  :^_^ just a strip at first to see if the temp goes up a bit !!

DON'T do it if yer not comfortable with this !!

good luck

KK 
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

benebob

Simply because it runs right where it runs normally about a 1/4 or slightly less on the temp gauge (beauty of a thermostat).
13 Tiger 800