News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

This doesn't look good but might explain my clutch issues-looks like water to me

Started by benebob, December 06, 2015, 12:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benebob

Bix i wouldnt call it learching more of a just letting you know im in gear kinda like starting a bike on the center stand and having the rear wheel spin a bit. I honestly dont know what could cause it to move as
If it was a sticky clutch it would stop when it breaks free.
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Bixxer Bob

That sounds more like dragging than sticky.  As you say, if it was sticky it would break free, dragging will continue until you stop the dragging.  Small step forward but perhaps an important one.

I would now be inspecting all parts of the clutch mechanism for wear; anything that will reduce the amount the clutch moves when the lever's pulled.   The fact that you got rid, then it came back suggests to me maybe a bracket bending, a cable stretching, a shaft twisting, that sort of thing, you get the idea.

Apologies if youve already done all of that, but I'm working blind and don't have time at the moment to re-read the thread.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

motoOzarks

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

benebob

No new clutches as I'm still trying to figure out why I had all that milky foam in the starter area.  I honestly think it is fairly normal.  If it was dragging the bike wouldn't roll back in first with the clutch it, it does that fine.  I really can't see anything being worn as it has 22k, even Harley builds bikes to last longer than that.  I just rarely start in gear (well pretty much never unless I'm popping the clutch on a push start.  The whole thing is perplexing as the shifting issue comes and goes at random. 
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Bixxer Bob

It's tough trying to come up with the answer from the other end of a computer, it's just one of those things that you will eventually get to the bottom of yourself, and when you post it will be "Like we never saw that coming...."
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Starting to sound a bit like a selector mechanism fault but I can't explain why, I'm guessing a bit.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

benebob

Honestly, I'm almost to the point that it may just disappear.  Whole reason I wanted a newer bike was so it wasn't a maint. whore but it seems to spend most nights under a streetlight (this is coming from a guy who owns 3 Jags, a TVR and a Heep). 
13 Tiger 800

benebob

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on December 13, 2015, 08:28:35 PM
Starting to sound a bit like a selector mechanism fault but I can't explain why, I'm guessing a bit.

Which is far above my pay grade and ability with my physical limitations for a whim as even with that I don't see it coming and going nor do I see it only being an issue from 1-2 and 2-1 shifting. Do you?
13 Tiger 800

Sin_Tiger

Yes I know what you mean, which is why I can't put my finger on it. I've had something similar with a car box, which is completely different I know, but it's just a smiliar coming and going, on or off load, cold or hot and cornering (diff load), turned out to be the tiniest of grooves in two of the synchro hubs, all totally irelevant to your issue but just as  :blah

I really wish I could come up with something a bit more directional  :^_^
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

benebob

Yup if it did it all the time, or only when cold or very randomly then I'd be with ya on wear somewhere but the thing comes for 100 shifts then is gone completely for a week  then back for 20 then gone for a while.  A dragging clutch seems out of the picture in my mind as I can adjust it so that there is zero play in the lever and it still does it (again using both cables in the bike)
13 Tiger 800

benebob

So I had a brain fart that I haven't had the opportunity to try out as it is shifting a okay at the moment.  In theory if it is a clutch issue if I shift without the clutch when it is acting up.  If it shifts fine then it would def. be a clutch issue, if not , I'd suspect something in the tranny.  Makes some sense right?  Of course I'll need to be decent about matching the gears.
13 Tiger 800

iansoady

You'd have to check out clutchless changes when it isn't acting up so you have something to compare it with. My Girly was fine with upward clutchless changes (apart from 1 - 2), and in fact could be smoother and quicker than using the clutch, but I never mastered downward ones.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

KuzzinKenny

:iagree clutchless up, smooth change  :thumbsup clutchless down, never tried  :nono

KK

ps you definitely don't have any worn, hooked sprockets ?? or a tight spot on yer chain ??  :^_^
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

JayDub

Clutches downshift = With a bit of weight on the lever, give a gentle tweek of the throttle and it should go in... Not too healthy for the tranny but would get you home.

benebob

Well it has been running fine the past couple days so haven't tried the clutchless shift theory.  Kenny, both sprockets and the chain are new within 1000 miles but thanks for the suggestion as it is the little stuff like that we often over look.  Thinking about taking it for a overnighter about 400 miles round trip tomorrow despite the strong likelihood my return 200 miles will be in a pretty heavy rain Thursday. 
13 Tiger 800