News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

tune ecu giving me the hump

Started by fattyjr, December 06, 2015, 06:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fattyjr

I can't make heads or tales with my tune ecu problems.  Laptop updated to windows 10.  I have found that I couldn't get a connection with tune ecu UNLESS I run tune ecu as an administrator.

anyway, i have a good cable that i can connect.  I recently downloaded the map out my bike, flashed in a clean stock map  for my bike and I also adjusted IACV and idle trims.

I have ran the bike for a few weeks and decided to check and adjust throttle body balances.  while tank and airbox was off, I removed the baffle/wall/divider in the stock airbox.  Rebuilt the bike and grabbed laptop to clear codes etc in ecm.

Tune ecu connected straight away, cleared codes.  I started bike and waited for tuneecu to reconnect as normal.  It failed to reconnect.  Tried numerous times to connect and nothing.  Rebooted laptop and connected via tuneecu.  checked what tune was in ecu and flashed in the TOR map.  30 secs and map was in.

Turned bike off.  Started bike up and sounded great.  let bike run for 5 mins then shut off.  coupled laptop up etc and connected via tuneecu.  Bike came up and showed sensors etc.  Voltage showed 12.9v.  started bike and waited for tune ecu to reconnect and it kept saying unable to connect and flashing red at the bottom.  Tried numerous times again and it would connect when bike is off, but as soon as I start it up, i can't connect to adust idle trim or IVAC or monitor other systems.

It's a total mystery as i can't put my finger on the issue.
98 tiger 885i, 2001 Daytona 955i, 92 trident/sprint 900, 98 trophy 1200, 96 trophy 900, 59 t120 bonnieville, 64 t120 bonnieville, 63, tiger t100s/s, 98 tl1000s, 07 Buell xb1200, 98 husqvarna sm610  x2, 81 husqvarna cr500, 84 husqvarna cr500, 98 xvs650, 90 sportster 883/1200 race bike. And a few more

Bixxer Bob

Check your battery voltage with the engine running. 

Low volts causes erratic connections.  And if you have low volts you are into looking at RR output and battery condition.

The fact it's starting ok and connects with engine off suggests battery is ok but low RR output is pulling the volts down and stopping the TECU connection.  TECU needs 12.2V........
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

fattyjr

I checked voltage and just off idle i am getting 14.5v.  actually when I am connected to laptop, it did show 14.7v then stopped communication.  Battery is a brand new one i put on when i got the tiger.  I checked voltage at both the battery and the alternator (remember my tiger is 885i with external automotive style alternator)

I have had the battery on charge while working on the bike so I know it was fully charged. 

98 tiger 885i, 2001 Daytona 955i, 92 trident/sprint 900, 98 trophy 1200, 96 trophy 900, 59 t120 bonnieville, 64 t120 bonnieville, 63, tiger t100s/s, 98 tl1000s, 07 Buell xb1200, 98 husqvarna sm610  x2, 81 husqvarna cr500, 84 husqvarna cr500, 98 xvs650, 90 sportster 883/1200 race bike. And a few more

JoeDirt

I would find an older computer with Windows XP or 7 on it. Borrow a friends if you have to. The fact that you have to run in "Administrator Mode" tells me the software is not compatible with your windows 10.

I keep old computers with old operating systems for this very reason... but I'm an old f@##$er.

Bixxer Bob

Good point Joe.  But why would it not connect while running when it does  with the engine off??  Something to do with the digital signal or maybe even electrical interference from the engine???

Maybe a bad (Windows 10) driver can't interpret the digital signal coming from the ECU while running???
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

JoeDirt

It could be as simple as a USB 3.0 port not reading a USB 2.0 port because of a software driver.

Sin_Tiger

RF noise  :icon_scratch: some USB OBD cable chips are better than others at dealing with signal quality.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

fattyjr

ALLLLLL RIGHTY Then.

I just got back from work and decided to see if i can sort this bloody thing out.

I have made sure I have tuneecu in the c:/ directory

I then made a new shortcut to my desktop so i know it's going to c:/tuneecu only.

then right clicked to bring menu up and went to "properties".  clicked on "Compatibility"  and set the program to run under "windows xp service pack 3" and to run as an administrator.

Next plugged cable in to usb (i have usb 2.0 and 3.0 on laptop, but 3.0 is marked with a blue port) i am using a black port.  loaded tune ecu and went to "options" then "Interface" and could see under "serial" that com 3 is shown and selected.  Under "usb" i have the farty connection shown but not selected.

I coupled up the cable to bike and went to connect and it wouldn't.

So next i went to "options / USB / farty" and selected it.  This deselected the com 3 in "options / serial" for some reason

Clicked connect again and it made a connection. I started the bike and it lost connection and wouldn't recouple.  Unplugged the cable from bike and laptop and rebooted.  Coupled bike back upto laptop and connected while bike was running. I clicked onto the  "tests" section and it lost connection.

It wouldn't reconnect without unplugging the cable, giving it 5 mins and then plugging it back in.  Left tuneecu on "tests" page and connected.  Connection stayed stable long enough to adjust the idle valve and idle trim.  it sat there for 3 mins with an idle at 1350.

I blipped the throttle and it lost connection.

So left it like that for the mo and going to have a look at the cable.  Going to have a look at swapping the usb part of the cable with some heavier shielded cable

JoeDirt

I bought some cheap USB extensions to stretch from my bike to workbench. I tried several before finding a nice shielded one. I think you might have found it.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on December 07, 2015, 02:06:38 PM
Something to do with the digital signal or maybe even electrical interference from the engine???

:hat10

nickjtc

"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

JoeDirt

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on December 07, 2015, 06:32:02 PM
RF noise  :icon_scratch: some USB OBD cable chips are better than others at dealing with signal quality.

I think SIN won... 7 emoji salute :icon_salut::icon_salut::icon_salut::icon_salut::icon_salut::icon_salut::icon_salut:

I would have done 21 but Mustang would think it takes too much bandwidth. :wave