News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rev Counter Circuit.

Started by nickjtc, December 13, 2015, 07:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

OK, I give in.

When it comes time to install the digital gear number display thingy it has to be wired into both the speedo and rev counter input circuits. The speed circuit isn't a problem because the wiring runs from the speed sensor to the instrument assembly.

As I look at the wiring diagram for the bike I cannot see anything labelled as anything to do with rev counting. All of the input wires to the instrument assembly are accounted for.

What am I missing?
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

This is for the Acumen one but I'm sure other makes will follow the same principle, which make did you buy and didn't they give you any  :icon_study: with it?

PM me as I have a few files that can't be posted that might be of some use to you.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Yes, it came with instructions, but all they give is direction as to where each wire from the unit is to be connected to the circuits on the bike.

The plot thickens, however, because according to your info (thanks for that) I need to find the ECU, which according to Triumph is number 6 on the wiring diagram. Problem is, there is no number 6 on the diagram! Unless it is the mass-connected 'bar' across the top of the diagram.

95tiger

JoeDirt

Quote from: nickjtc on December 13, 2015, 06:12:38 PM
I need to find the ECU, which according to Triumph is number 6 on the wiring diagram. Problem is, there is no number 6 on the diagram! Unless it is the mass-connected 'bar' across the top of the diagram.

NickJTC,

I have attached a picture of the Explorer ECU below and the exploded assemblies of the Explorer show the ECU in front of the battery. Might be under the gas tank...  :icon_sad:

That's a wiring schematic only. It shows wire paths only.

Sin_Tiger

It's next to the battery under the front end of the seat if memory serves.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

I've moved Rhoda into the back bedroom so that I can attack this task in cosy warmth. Having stripped everything off the bike to be able to get at the wiring I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that I can't be @r$#d to faff around trying to splice into the wiring loom. Being the cheap git that I am I assumed that this would be 'easy'; if I had spent more money I could have got a plug-and-play unit.

Watch this space  :augie

JayDub

Just checking Nick, Rhoda is the bike? Not the missus.  :icon_lol:
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

nickjtc

Quote from: JayDub on January 06, 2016, 09:30:37 AM
Just checking Nick, Rhoda is the bike? Not the missus.  :icon_lol:

:ImaPoser

You are correct, sir!

nickjtc

Just out of curiosity I contacted the help line for Triumph North America to see if they would have the solution to the puzzle. They answered that they can not give technical help to anyone who is not a dealer!

Sin_Tiger

To the more technically minded that seems ridiculous but you have to remember, for every one technically sensible person they probably get 20 calls from numpties with absolutely nothing better to do than ask daft questions that they can usually find in the owners manual or ask next time they have a service done, add into that 30 years of making an assorment of models and I can understand the policy.

I do recall, now that you mention it, the instructions from Acumen stated something to the effect "signal for tach sensor should be the brown?? wire on pin ??, this wire may also be Pink??" I recall asking the maker about it and the response was to the effect "the tach signal from the ECU is a low voltage output that is internally protected as is the input to the device, 12V DC is not going to do it any damage" obviously that is make specific but does indicate that wiring harnesses were not all the same.

nickjtc

The curious thing about this situation (to me, anyway) is that both Acumen and Datatool give wiring connection information for their digital gear indicators at the instrument housing (such as for the 955i) but for the 1050 it is at the ECM. So the wires that have to be utilised at the ECM are a different colour to the ones at the instruments.

It would not be too much of a problem if there was more room to faff around at the ECM to do the connections.

Anyhoo I've put in a request to my 'local' Triumph dealer to try to get an answer. I'm not holding my breath!! :icon_wink:

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on January 10, 2016, 12:15:33 PM
To the more technically minded that seems ridiculous but you have to remember, for every one technically sensible person they probably get 20 calls from numpties with absolutely nothing better to do than ask daft questions that they can usually find in the owners manual or ask next time they have a service done, add into that 30 years of making an assorment of models and I can understand the policy.

I do recall, now that you mention it, the instructions from Acumen stated something to the effect "signal for tach sensor should be the brown?? wire on pin ??, this wire may also be Pink??" I recall asking the maker about it and the response was to the effect "the tach signal from the ECU is a low voltage output that is internally protected as is the input to the device, 12V DC is not going to do it any damage" obviously that is make specific but does indicate that wiring harnesses were not all the same.

You are absolutely right. However in this case it was just a request asking "what wire does what?"

Why they do not have a standardised colour usage for the wires across the range of machines is beyond me  :icon_scratch: And unfortunately on the 1050 there are no brown or pink wires going in to the instrument housing.

Sin_Tiger

I think I was repeating myself Nick and the colours I mentioned were just examples, hence the ??????, don't read anything into that.

If you want standardised colour coded you need to go back to 60's 70's British makers, when Rists made the looms for just about everything. Triumph are not alone, the Japanese and Chinese do it to and don't get me started on Moto Guzzi, just need to sick it up and move on. FYI 2010 Bonnie MY variants used at least three different looms, components and colour codes  :^_^

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on January 10, 2016, 11:55:38 PM
don't read anything into that.

I'm not, but thanks anyway. Bottom line, the damn thing only cost $30US-ish. I've survived ok over the years without a gear position indicator (since my '77 GS750, in fact) so I think I'll manage without it now. :icon_wink: