News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Three Cylinder Heads Are...

Started by JoeDirt, December 17, 2015, 04:37:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeDirt

Over the past couple of years I have purchased four cylinder heads for my 01' 955i. I eventually found a low mileage head that was "good". You would think story would end right there and me and my bike would ride off into the sunset <fade out>.

I need to find out what I can do with these used cylinder heads and whether any parts are re-usable or not. With that in mind, I need to let you in on the condition of my misfit heads and see what I can salvage.

Lefty: I have my original head from my Girly. I hurt the head after dropping a piece of titanium thread insert into one of the cam-caps trying to fix a stripped cover thread. You can imagine what it did to the camshaft and the bearing surfaces of the head. I started shopping for a replacement cylinder head.

The guy on the right: was my first replacement head. It had the mounting ears on the left rear broken off. Which they made "beefier" on 1050's and later bikes. The head ran just fine without the 4th mount and I consider that head as a good spare. I wanted to have the ears welded back on and all of the welders I know would not touch it... even the good ones. So, this one is the Ear-less Headsman.

Middle child: It's pretty chunk of metal isn't it? Fresh valve job done by Triumph, low miles, and picture of good health. This was the last head I purchased off eBay, before my last cylinder head. I really thought this was the one I was going to ride off into the sunset with... but it turned into a horror movie very quickly. I visually inspected it and one of the cam bearing had some gouging and pitting. I told the seller hey this head is damaged. He said "all you have to do is take some emery paper to it" and by the time I had it rubbed out... the bearing surfaces were out of service spec. I waited too long to return the head and I feel responsible because I did the repair.

So, that's the story. I have purposely left the real names out to protect the innocent. I would like to hear some constructive uses for these heads besides boat anchors and door stops. Can I re-use the valve parts (i.e. springs, guides, retainers...)? Especially on that "new one". Can these heads be repaired and who can do the work?

motoOzarks

Is now a good time to suggest grip strengthening exercises?

Whatever fix is available for the bearing surfaces would be money that could buy another head if they are available.

A machine shop or racing shop etc for welding on the head. 

Please don't take the head off of your bike again.  Some other people might need one someday Joe.

A bearing surface with emery cloth?

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

JoeDirt

Quote from: JoeDirt on December 17, 2015, 04:37:17 AMI would like to hear some constructive uses for these heads besides boat anchors and door stops.

Cheers! I quoted myself again...  :occasion14

fattyjr

I would find a decent welder with balls and have that head repaired.  I have done it plenty of times. If I get any more to do, I plan on building a welding case similar to what they use when welding titanium.

Send me some pics of the damage.
98 tiger 885i, 2001 Daytona 955i, 92 trident/sprint 900, 98 trophy 1200, 96 trophy 900, 59 t120 bonnieville, 64 t120 bonnieville, 63, tiger t100s/s, 98 tl1000s, 07 Buell xb1200, 98 husqvarna sm610  x2, 81 husqvarna cr500, 84 husqvarna cr500, 98 xvs650, 90 sportster 883/1200 race bike. And a few more

Mustang

your answer is in your quote, but they are too big for door stops

too awkward for boat anchors

aluminum scrap will get back some cash

JoeDirt

Quote from: fattyjr on December 17, 2015, 09:22:42 AM
I would find a decent welder with balls and have that head repaired.  I have done it plenty of times. If I get any more to do, I plan on building a welding case similar to what they use when welding titanium.

Send me some pics of the damage.

I know over 10+ welders at work and none of them would touch it. The ones that heat the metal before welding are hard to find where I am at.

Pictures of damage:

motoOzarks

That could also be brazed

Drilled, dowel pinned, jb weld

The bolt head and washer overlap that and would probably work fine just like that as you already know.

I know a guy at a marine machine shop that welded the guts back in a Mercury outboard after it came apart.  I still don't know how he got the gun in there and was able to see what he was doing.

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

JoeDirt

Quote from: motoOzarks on December 17, 2015, 09:01:15 PM
That could also be brazed

Drilled, dowel pinned, jb weld

Just for the record... I am uncomfortable using brass or epoxy for any repairs.

Bixxer Bob

Given the camshaft tolerances are so tight, and despite you using a good quality "Mitutoyo" vernier caliper, I'd be using micrometers in this case.  There's just too much flex in a vernier.  Even with micrometers, if they don't have a ratchet, in or out of tolerance can vary between one guy and the next depending on how heavy their "touch" is....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

JoeDirt

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on December 17, 2015, 09:27:21 PM
Given the camshaft tolerances are so tight, and despite you using a good quality "Mitutoyo" vernier caliper, I'd be using micrometers in this case.  There's just too much flex in a vernier.  Even with micrometers, if they don't have a ratchet, in or out of tolerance can vary between one guy and the next depending on how heavy their "touch" is....

Um... look at the reading. Almost a 1/2 a millimeter. Normally, I would agree. This case I confident that it is out of service.

If I can't measure +/- half mm... I should never pick up another caliper.

fattyjr

I tell you what,  I have a knackered 855 engine sat in my garage with a broken mount too.  Over xmas, I'll have a play and see what happens.  Do you want pics?
98 tiger 885i, 2001 Daytona 955i, 92 trident/sprint 900, 98 trophy 1200, 96 trophy 900, 59 t120 bonnieville, 64 t120 bonnieville, 63, tiger t100s/s, 98 tl1000s, 07 Buell xb1200, 98 husqvarna sm610  x2, 81 husqvarna cr500, 84 husqvarna cr500, 98 xvs650, 90 sportster 883/1200 race bike. And a few more

JoeDirt

Quote from: fattyjr on December 17, 2015, 09:52:58 PM
I tell you what,  I have a knackered 855 engine sat in my garage with a broken mount too.  Over xmas, I'll have a play and see what happens.  Do you want pics?

Definitely... I will live vicariously through your picture. I would drop mine off if I could. :icon_mrgreen: