News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

fuel

Started by tonytiger, December 18, 2015, 08:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonytiger

Is it worth draining the fuel when laying bike over the winter, then risk having to strip and clean the carbs or fill the tank and use a fuel stabiliser?

Nick Calne

I'd try the search function on this as there are a lot of threads that cross this topic. :icon_study:
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

trophydave

I thought that it was metal tank brim full of petrol with stabilzer added and plastic tank as empty as possible due to the ethanol in the fuel.

BruKen

Quote from: tonytiger on December 18, 2015, 08:32:29 AM
Is it worth draining the fuel when laying bike over the winter, then risk having to strip and clean the carbs or fill the tank and use a fuel stabiliser?

Oh go on then, let's all have another barny  :icon_lol:
You will loose some volatiles in the fuel but you will survive it and probably barely notice the difference. The UK fuel is still good by comparison to USA in this regard.
I'm a believer that carbs should remain wet to protect the O-rings. Especially the needle and seat, but even more of a believer that if you are really concerned about the bike, run it to operating temp at least once a month.
The only time I'd drain a tank is to get rid of water, otherwise full / empty make as much as no difference. This is petrol, not diesel, no (FAME/ Bio-diesel) diesel bug potential here.

You should be riding your tigger in winter here anyway. This isn't N America, stop being pussy.  :nono

:icon_biggrin:

JayDub

Add some stabiliser (seafoam/profi-fuel etc) give it a good mix up and run the engine to get it through the carbs, that works for me.

Although going by the temp atm, we're not gonna have to store them for long. I was putting the recycling out at 7:30am in a gale, and wearing a just a t-shirt.... I felt decidedly scottish ....dead 'ard! :hat10
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

nickjtc

Quote from: JayDub on December 18, 2015, 01:17:11 PM
Add some stabiliser (seafoam/profi-fuel etc) give it a good mix up and run the engine to get it through the carbs, that works for me.

What he said.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

Has anybody tried or had experience of this stuff Alkylate Fuel ? Pricey but I'm tempted to give it a try if I have to a be a guinea pig.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

tonytiger

I was only asking as the haynes manual suggests a fuel stabiliser and the triumph manual suggests draining tank and carbs.
Alkylate Fuel looks tempting though.

John Stenhouse

That stuff looks interesting, may try some of the 2f stuff in the solex, trouble is it needs to be 40:1 for that
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Sin_Tiger

:pimp
Quote from: John Stenhouse on December 19, 2015, 03:38:49 PM
That stuff looks interesting, may try some of the 2f stuff in the solex, trouble is it needs to be 40:1 for that

:pimp Shmokin
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

John Stenhouse

It's such a powerful wee beastie it needs extra oil  :icon_rolleyes:
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Geoff W

I rode mine to work yesterday, no heated grips or other pussy bits fitted. The best way to keep these bikes happy is use them. But make sure the salt has washed off the road though. We had a sudden snow fall last weekend, but all thawed in 48 hours. Now all clear. It is not difficult in the UK, just ride it. I appreciate that it is totally different in Northern parts of North America, nine months of winter as I had in Northern Newfie, is no joy for a motor bike.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

nickjtc

Quote from: Geoff W on December 19, 2015, 09:28:22 PM
I rode mine to work yesterday, no heated grips or other pussy bits fitted. The best way to keep these bikes happy is use them.

++. We're not made of sugar, after all. Except those of us who live in intemperate climates :icon_wink: :icon_wink:!!
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Geoff W on December 19, 2015, 09:28:22 PM
I rode mine to work yesterday, no heated grips or other pussy bits fitted.

Hello stranger,  thought you were hibernating. So this means that you're adding extreme weather riding to your arsenal of skills like extreme filtering  :thumbsup