News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Clam helmet

Started by BruKen, December 18, 2015, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

Hmmmmmm. I think that a person would have to be careful to get exactly the right size. And specs wearers might find it a tad inconvenient. Yes, easier to get off in an accident situation, but why assume that you would be in such a situation...??

"The Vozz Helmet clicks together to close around the head, preventing it from coming off during impact". If a 'normal' helmet is correctly fitted this won't happen.

"The helmet also has directional visor stability, which keeps the helmet secure, and a lower-edge guard keeps wind from getting in and lifting the helmet off." Huh? Never heard of a correctly fitting helmet being blown off.......

The website isn't much help.

PS I dislike the Mail website intensely.......... why they have to fill the page with so much stuff is beyond me.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

John Stenhouse

Given that most paramedics don't know how to remove most helmets, witness the one who bless 'er did the smart thing and asked how mine came off and how to open the front when she came across me at a show once, I would think this will be just another "different" type of helmet to confuse them. Here's a thought, take the helmet round the ambulance training schools.

Excellent concept tho' I'm not knocking it, anything that improves the chances of not ending up with a spinal injury is good in my book, saw too many wheelchairs at this years bike show.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

nickjtc

Quote from: John Stenhouse on December 18, 2015, 03:48:04 PM
Excellent concept tho' I'm not knocking it, anything that improves the chances of not ending up with a spinal injury is good in my book, saw too many wheelchairs at this years bike show.

Good points, John. But I wonder how many of those who were inwheelchairs were riders who were 'hurt' after their accident, or were riders inappropriately helmet-ed at the time of their accident??

We have anti 'beanie' laws here in BC, which are not enforced, so a goodly number of the cruiser crowd still ride with metaphorical ashtrays on their heads.

London_Phil

My Son is a recently qualified Paramedic in Kent, UK. Ill see what his training (degree course) was.
Unfortunately he does have to "scrape" a fair few up, (his words).

Might be a learning opportunity

Ride safe
Phil

Bixxer Bob

I think it will take a bit of getting used to as we all know the feel of a chinstrap, but I like the idea of wind not getting in and making a noise, and the idea of it snugly fitting your head.  With a bit of time I think it would feel more natural than current helmets if it's light enough.

Interesting that no-one is worried about the actual clam bit.  (I'm not either) engineering and materials are such that there sould be no doubt about it's safety.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

motoOzarks

It just clams from the rear rather that at the front like modular helmets
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

nickjtc

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on December 18, 2015, 08:43:55 PM
Interesting that no-one is worried about the actual clam bit.  (I'm not either) engineering and materials are such that there sould be no doubt about it's safety.

We have to assume that it will meet or exceed the safety requirements for the places that it will be sold.

http://www.vozzhelmets.com/the-helmet.html

Cynical me (as usual) thinks: How many paramedics will be given the specific training required to get the helmet off? And will have a flat head screwdriver to hand? Note that you cannot pull it off straight up in an emergency situation.

And I cannot find a price anywhere in the website as we speak. Online ordering is counting down with 4 days or so to go. I have sent them an email asking for the price.

BruKen

Well I like flip lids because I wear glasses, but hate the wind noise on long haul rides, I find that contributes hugely to fatigue. If this is quiet(er) with the convenience of a flip lid I'll be happy to give it a try.

nickjtc

WOW!! Got a reply within 5 minutes:

$888 Australian
$888 Canadian
$638 US
428  UK pounds
588  Euros

Includes bag and tinted visor.

So, not out of line with 'traditional' high end helmets.

Sin_Tiger

Interesting, in not so sure about it being tight under the jaw, I often find I have to stretch my jaw to help equalise air pressure, wonder if there's enough room for that?

:iagree there seems to be universal ignorance, at least in the advertising industry, about the use of chin straps. Maybe that's just how these advertising types wear them on their Monsters  :icon_scratch:

I hope to do a Bikerdown course with the regional, it'll be interesting to see what their take on training medical responders on helmet removal. I was always taught, leave it unless you can get the rider to do it themselves or breathing is critical.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Sin_Tiger

There appears to be a Tiger graphic version right at the start of the video.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

I see there is a QR code for the removal instructions.  Do paramedics carry a scanner????
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

And you've got to remove screws from the back as well  :icon_rolleyes:

John Stenhouse

I must say I quite like that but I'm a helmet whore, only question I have is as a glasses wearer how bad does it steam up?
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting