News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Shims and valve question

Started by benebob, December 26, 2015, 02:21:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benebob

So as soon as the weather turns enough to ski more and ride less I plan on doing my valves..  Never did the valves on a shim set up before but just got the tool from Mustang in my xmas stocking.  I'm not a fan of my local dealer and what he stocks so I'm thinking about just buying a shim kit.  Would like to get all of them to a point where I should be able to go another 15k-20k rather than 12 as I'm thinking of being away for more the 12k this spring..  What are the thoughts of the experts on that idea and this set. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GV1L3I?keywords=25mm%20shim%20kit&qid=1451092551&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

JoeDirt

I've done my shims a few times. I personally wouldn't spend that much on a kit. You won't use 95% of the kit but, the added advantage is that you will have them ready to install. As compared to finding out what you need and then buying single shims as needed. Typically, you will be able to reuse some and move them from one bucket to another as needed. If you have a short shim on one, it might be perfect for another bucket. You should only need a few shims to do a whole head and you will end up with a few left over. You can buy single ones online and from bike shops. Oh yea, it's nice to have a micrometer or at least a caliper to identify the thickness of all of your shims. They will be marked by the supplier but, nine times out of ten the writing is wore off.

benebob

Its the finding and ordering then waiting that I'm more concerned about.  I'm sure over time I'll use enough of them to make it worthwhile right?
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

JoeDirt

Quote from: benebob on December 26, 2015, 03:56:52 AM
Its the finding and ordering then waiting that I'm more concerned about.  I'm sure over time I'll use enough of them to make it worthwhile right?

I have a quote that I use in problem solving: Money can fix anything. :icon_wink:

I just need more money to fix stuff... :icon_cry:

fattyjr

i must be spoilt as if push come to shove, I can make up the shims  :wheel

it's swings and roundabouts.  If you buy a kit, you will have them left over but can get the job done in a day.  But if your a tight arse, you can strip, measure and order singles, but you maybe a week doing the job.

if it was me, I would buy the kit as you know the F**K up fairy will pay you a visit if you don't get it done in the day. :ImaPoser
98 tiger 885i, 2001 Daytona 955i, 92 trident/sprint 900, 98 trophy 1200, 96 trophy 900, 59 t120 bonnieville, 64 t120 bonnieville, 63, tiger t100s/s, 98 tl1000s, 07 Buell xb1200, 98 husqvarna sm610  x2, 81 husqvarna cr500, 84 husqvarna cr500, 98 xvs650, 90 sportster 883/1200 race bike. And a few more

benebob

Yeah, Joe will call me money bags :) but for me being without my bike for a week esp when I have the entire 24k service to do and a body so broken that 6 hours a day all day of movement is a good day.  So that 25mm kitt should do it right?
13 Tiger 800

JoeDirt

Quote from: benebob on December 26, 2015, 05:32:18 PM
Yeah, Joe will call me money bags :) but for me being without my bike for a week esp when I have the entire 24k service to do and a body so broken that 6 hours a day all day of movement is a good day.  So that 25mm kitt should do it right?

Yes, 25mm ones are the correct size...

Another good thing to have is dental style tools and a strong telescoping magnet. The shims like to stick to the buckets and oil causes some suction between them. I found if you spin the shims in the bucket, it helps to release them.

I didn't call you "Money Bags" once,
JD

Mustang

Have you checked them ? you may not have to do anything but put the cam cover back on .................... :nod

threepot

I'd check with your local dealer\ers . They might have a good stock? Seems a lot of money for shims you'll never use? Some dealers might swap shims? And as Mustang said,you might not need any? :icon_wink:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Dyn Blin

+1 on the magnet, it took me once (and once too often) to figure out my great idea of a shot of compressed air under the shim would release it.  I even had the foresight to place shop rag behind it to catch the oil spray.   

An unholy mess resulted.  Magnet on the edge with spin is the way to go.

As Mr Dirt mentioned in another spot- older Yamaha and Honda engines use the same 25mm shim in .25 increments.  'even the outboard motors.  I found a good supply at a small engine repair shop that let me exchange what I needed on multiple occasions.

A couple more pieces of unsolicited thoughts:  My engine has just under 60k miles, and I've only needed to adjust the valves 3 times at the 12k intervals, so you may open it up and find it's fine.  The other is that even at twice the price of the kit you linked, it's much less than a shop will do it.

That said, I'm cheap frugal.

This is why we can't have nice things.

JoeDirt

Quote from: Dyn Blin on December 28, 2015, 06:15:08 PM
+1 on the magnet, Magnet on the edge with spin is the way to go.

As Mr Dirt mentioned in another spot- older Yamaha and Honda engines use the same 25mm shim in .25 increments.  'even the outboard motors.  I found a good supply at a small engine repair shop that let me exchange what I needed on multiple occasions.

That said, I'm cheap frugal.

I like that Mr Dirt. I might have to change my call sign. :icon_salut:

Quote from: JoeDirt on December 01, 2015, 12:12:45 AM
Don't forget your friends with Yamaha's too... they use the same shims also. :thumbsup

Dyn, I did say that. I went back and found my post. Your memory is better than mine. :icon_scratch:

Signed,
Mr. Dirt :icon_mrgreen:

RumRunnerGuy

A few quick note on Shims, while I've yet to do them on my Tiger yet, I have on plenty of Twins.

1.  Most local Honda shops keep a good supply of these shims in their service department.  The local shop to me will actually swap shims with me if I don't have them in my collection.

2.  When going through your lash the first time, take a little extra time and measure ALL of the shims (even if they're within spec) and make a chart of what the lash is on each cylinder and what shim you have.  Now on your next adjustment when you check the cold adjustment you can check to see what shims you need before you even take anything (other than removing the tank) apart. 

3.  Also keep in mind that in some situations you easily swap shims from one cylinder to another to get you back within spec.

fattyjr

Most of our bike shops SUCK.

First time I went to my local triumph shop for a part, they didn't have it in stock, but they did get it next day from triumph.  When I asked for a test ride on a newer bike, they couldn't find anyone to show me about and arrange a test ride.

I thought BMW dealers/owners were supposed to be snobs,
98 tiger 885i, 2001 Daytona 955i, 92 trident/sprint 900, 98 trophy 1200, 96 trophy 900, 59 t120 bonnieville, 64 t120 bonnieville, 63, tiger t100s/s, 98 tl1000s, 07 Buell xb1200, 98 husqvarna sm610  x2, 81 husqvarna cr500, 84 husqvarna cr500, 98 xvs650, 90 sportster 883/1200 race bike. And a few more

Dyn Blin

Quote from: RumRunnerGuy on December 29, 2015, 03:35:31 AM
...measure ALL of the shims (even if they're within spec) and make a chart ...

At the risk of being common knowledge to the forum, this calculator is extremely helpful to track past shim placement and track current needs:

http://www.agbuzz.com.au/valve/valve_intro.htm

Dyn Blin

Quote from: JoeDirt on December 28, 2015, 10:21:13 PM
I like that Mr Dirt. I might have to change my call sign....

Hey, more power to ya!  Janitors with a mullet, acid-washed jeans and a dream need respect too.