News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Lighted Triumph light switch

Started by RumRunnerGuy, January 08, 2016, 02:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RumRunnerGuy

I just picked up a lighted Triumph auxiliary light switch that I want to put on my Girly for the LED lights I'm going to be adding.  It has 5 wires coming out of the switch.  I let a friend borrow my mutli meter, does anyone know off hand what each of the wires is "Supposed" to go to?   

JoeDirt

I think those are Carling switches. At least they look like it.

Check this video... it might help.

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

RumRunnerGuy

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on January 08, 2016, 11:03:16 AM
What's the Part No. ?

The wires coming out of the switch have a red, (2) black, a white and a grey.  The two black wires are both obviously common to each other, but no matter what I can't find continuity amongst any the other switches.

Sin_Tiger

That doesn't look right, normally has an A (for accessory) or similar in front. That number doesn't show up on the Triumph Instructions website, which usually works even for older items no longer in production.

The two blacks are probably earths, one for the switch back light, the others may be just N/O for switching a relay within the original bike harness and the third either for an indication on the dash or a sense to only allow use with dipped beam. I can't see the video for some reason. I thought I had a copy of the instructions for the switch commonly used for the 800's and Dora but can't lay my hands on it right now. Is it something like this for the LED Lights ?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

RumRunnerGuy

Sin,

It's s switch off of an 800.

Sin_Tiger

It dawned on me a bit after I posted that I was looking at it from the wrong angle, should have been searching for a part no. rather than accessory. That switch only came as part of the genuine LED Accessory Lamps the fitting instructions don't give you the info you need nor will the spare part details. Sadly I don't have access to my 800 to check the main wiring loom socket functions.

I think you will need to fit an aftermarket controller / driver for your chosen lamps (if they didn't come with one), the actual switch output will be a Normally Open Momentary Contact but as you'll see from the fitting instructions, the back light is a dual colour LED, normally the colour is changed by altering the input voltage, you can probably find something that will do the job with a bit of research.  Good luck

RumRunnerGuy

Sin,

That was my thought, but I found this switch on fleabay cheap.  Figured with 5 wires I should be able to just check the ohm reading.  I assumed two wires (power and ground) to illuminate the switch, then two wires (power and ground) to control the power output to the final wire.  Since this is the same switch used on the 55w halogen aftermarket lights I'm just thinking I got a junk switch. 

fattyjr

Last time I had a 5 wire switch, I had power in and out for accessory, ground for on light, but also power and ground for illuminated with lights on (dash lights).

I think that's how my led switch is wired on my trophy.
98 tiger 885i, 2001 Daytona 955i, 92 trident/sprint 900, 98 trophy 1200, 96 trophy 900, 59 t120 bonnieville, 64 t120 bonnieville, 63, tiger t100s/s, 98 tl1000s, 07 Buell xb1200, 98 husqvarna sm610  x2, 81 husqvarna cr500, 84 husqvarna cr500, 98 xvs650, 90 sportster 883/1200 race bike. And a few more

RumRunnerGuy

Update:

Just an FYI for anyone wanting to use one of these switches, the switch only works if there is power going to it (to illuminate it) unlike a standard 5-pole switch.