News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Where is headlight relay for 1999 885i Tiger located ?

Started by jamman, February 25, 2016, 06:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamman

Hi

Need to remove the headlight relay on my 1999 885i Tiger for extended time using Tune ECU ...

Where is the headlight relay located ? I tried all 3 relays by the fuse box and the 3 relays on the left side of the headlight (sitting on the bike) but headlights still come on ..

Thanks
Gary

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

jamman

The fuse for the headlight also shutd down the fuel pump .. in my fuse box its a 20A ... ECU does not seem to connect with it out ..

although getting Tune ECU to connect is a bit flaky with my laptop for some reason ...

will try it again ..

Bixxer Bob

Just been through my wiring diagrams for the 885i; one is up to vin89736 other is from 89737.  Neither show any commonality between the lights and the ECU or fuel pump  :icon_scratch:

The pre-89737 has a fuse labelled "Headlight" and has a purple wire.  the other has the same.  THey both also have a side /tail light fuse which has a yellow going from it.  Again, nothing to do with fuel pump

The pre vin fuel pump shares it's power feed with the coils and injectors and ECU sourced from the Fuel pump ECU fuse with a purple wire but is nothing to do with the purple wire fro the lights.

The post vin fuel pump, worryingly, gets its power from the alarm circuit via a green wire with orange banding.  If you have no alarm it's still the jumper block where the alarm would be. That, in turn, gets it's power from the Ignition control fuse on a green / orange wire.  That is sourced, not from the battery but from the ign switch via the kill switch.

This is one seriously messed up wiring loom.....  :icon_rolleyes:

In short, if pulling the headlight fuse kills your fuel pump, you have some issues.

To narrow it down a bit, and for me to look in the Triumph manual (which is even harder than the Haynes version)  which vin  do you have?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

jamman

full VIN is SMT700EH3XJ081210 so  I think that is last 6 digits?  081210

Bixxer Bob

So it's the early one.

Either way, you should n'y be getting crossover between lights and fuel pump.  Has someone messed with the fuse box labelling?

jamman

Guess it's possible don't see any obvious signs it was changed but  not sure ...

May take a picture tomorrow and post it but some of the fuse values do not seem to match what is on the inside of the fuse cover ..

Bixxer Bob

Could also be the Haynes is wrong  :ImaPoser

Anyone with an 885i can help out here?

Sin_Tiger

Does the picture on the cover match the layout, it might have been replaced.

Are you looking at it the right way round, it wouldn't be the first time I've pulled the wrong fuse before I realised what I'd done  :icon_rolleyes:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Wiggus

For the American bike, there are two headlight fuses on the 885.

One controls the right low beam and the left high beam,
and the second fuse controls the left low and right high.
I assume that's so that you can still limp home at night if one fuse goes.

Working from memory (!) I think they are both 15a fuses.
The bike will run with them both pulled, so there is no fuel pump interaction.

Keep in mind, the fuses might be different if the bike is European.
You Will Know Me By The Trail of Bolts...