News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

OGNIBENE Silent sprockets

Started by threepot, January 21, 2016, 07:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threepot

Anyone used one? Just a gimmick?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

The stock New Bonnie ones had a rubber centre, still using it so I can't say if it makes any difference  :^_^
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

all of my steamers OEM sprockets had rubber centers too, never really noticed anything different.

JayDub

My steamer had an OE Triumph 'silent 'sprocket on when I got it, I changed the whole kit and I honestly can't say it became noisier... It should make a difference - in theory. The manufacturer is a well known supplier of OE chains/sprockets since the 70's apparently... if they don't cost much more than the JT ones, then I'd be tempted to give them a try... did you sort out the revs issue btw?
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

threepot

Haven't had a chance to look yet JD. Maybe w'end'? It's more of a little 'annoyance' at the mo. Bike runs nice otherwise.
Come to think,when I first changed the sprocket on my Daytona,it had the factory one fitted,which is similar. I didn't notice a difference with the conventional one?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

threepot

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on January 21, 2016, 07:58:10 PM
The stock New Bonnie ones had a rubber centre, still using it so I can't say if it makes any difference  :^_^
Are you thinking of changing for one of the new 1200's ST ? I quite like he new 'Street'
95 Super111
96 Tiger

nickjtc

So how much quieter is a 'silent' sprocket?? Can't say I've ever noticed the noise from the running gear of any chain driven bike I've ridden..... Except when I over tightened the chain on Stanley the Steamer on my way back from Alaska  :augie
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

Silent drives are as likely as paperless toilets IMHO seen and worked on too many to be hopeful. Even induction drives make a noise.

Glad they've kept the 900, I think that's a shrewd move, I do like the 1200 Thruxton R but I've invested too much in mine and the power to weight and torque is almost the same, the only thing I'm missing is a 6th gear and it would pull it  :nod

Back OT: Asian restaurant - customer - waiter, this chicken is rubbery. Waiter - ah fank you very much  :hat10
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

How deep into the archives did you dig for that one Niall... dissapointing, you're capable of much better  :icon_rolleyes:

threepot

I was in an Asian restaurant recently..Japanese.  I got talking to the waiter who was quite elderly. He told me that he was a 'kamikaze' pilot in the war,and his 'call sign' was 'chow mein'. I remarked that I thought that all kamikaze pilots sacrificed themselves in battle? 'Yes' he replied,'but I was chicken -chow mein' !
95 Super111
96 Tiger

motoOzarks

Would it be possible if the cushion sprocket was to dampen shock loads into the transmission rather than to simply run quieter?

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: motoOzarks on January 22, 2016, 05:54:49 PM
Would it be possible if the cushion sprocket was to dampen shock loads into the transmission rather than to simply run quieter?

It's just rubber bonded onto the outer faces of the sprocket, not sure if the one JD's talking about is something fancier but I'd have thought that would be redundant with the cush rubbers in the hub.

JayDub

From what I can tell, the chain side plates hit the rubber bit and that reduces any clatter - I've only noticed a badly adjusted, mis-aligned or very dry or worn chain to be noisy.
maybe its to stop any resonating noises at certain speeds... Manufacturers don't usually do things like that unless neccessary.