News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Off to the 'bike show tomorrow....

Started by nickjtc, January 21, 2016, 11:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

... woo hoo! It's always very timely here, since we're halfway through the non-riding season, and getting ready to salivate over what's new and exciting. The fact that it is a four hour + drive each way over mountain passes is irrelevant!

This is the first year in several where I'm actually looking forward to seeing what is new. Specifically the new updated Bonneville/Thruxtons and the Africa Twin. I'm not thinking of getting anything new (the novelty of Rhoda the Roadie has not worn off yet) but it never hurts to look.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

nickjtc

The $64k question is why Honda had to give the Africa Twin a 270 degree phased crankshaft to "give a distinctly desirable sound and feel - almost like the rumbling of a v-twin motor"? :qgaraduate

Nick Calne

I'm looking forward to seeing the africa twin in the flesh too. Could be the next bike when the steamer gives up the ghost in about 10 years time!
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

nickjtc

No, my head is not being turned, even though it's nice looking bike. You will not get much change out of $20,000 otr, here.

The red is nicer...

And if you think a 'normal' gearbox is complicated...

No, my head is not being turned, part 2. This thing is the same price as a Spyder, here.

Hmmmm, it takes all types to ride!!

Here's an interesting Roadie-into-ADV-bike modification and story

Not sure why this little gem was on display.... they were never imported here officially.

Imho the jury is out on the new Thruxton. I'm not keen on the upside down clip-ons; much preferred the 'w' tubular bar on my '10.

nickjtc

Late '60s Trident engined steamliner

Touratech catalogue, anyone?  :augie

The new Norton Dominator. Price tba

motoOzarks

Linky poo to the roadie story?

cause my eyes suck and your picture ain't much better

never mind I figured out how to zoom in on it

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

Sparky

You look good on that Africa Twin Nick.

I was at the show on Friday and met up with Ken (fishnbiker) and had a good chat about Steamers.
1998 Steamer. Sold, replaced with a 2016 Africa Twin.
1982 Honda FT 500 Ascot,  1983 Honda VT 500 Ascot

nickjtc

Quote from: Sparky on January 25, 2016, 04:48:43 PM
I was at the show on Friday and met up with Ken (fishnbiker) and had a good chat about Steamers.

D'oh!! :icon_wink: It did not even occur to me to touch base with other Tiger-philes. Sorry!

Bixxer Bob

Saw a new Africa Twin at Spalding on Sunday.  I loved the retro red white and blue metallic paint scheme and the look of the bike in general. The pics don't do it justice; I just hope it rides as well as it looks.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nickjtc

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on January 25, 2016, 09:42:47 PM
Saw a new Africa Twin at Spalding on Sunday.  I loved the retro red white and blue metallic paint scheme and the look of the bike in general. The pics don't do it justice; I just hope it rides as well as it looks.

I'm curious... how much will they cost over there? At the current exchange rate, using the price they are here, it would be about 9,800 pounds.

Nick Calne

10.5k for the basic model.

Can't believe I want a Honda... :^_^
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

nickjtc

Quote from: Nick Calne on January 26, 2016, 12:18:34 AM
Can't believe I want a Honda... :^_^

Nothing wrong with that...... you do, after all, meet the nicest people on a Honda.  :ImaPoser I admit to having a soft spot for the marque, since they were what started my riding career.

ZuluSafari

Funny how that works- my nostalgia trigger is '80's-early '90's Yamaha dirt bikes. They are what I learned on years ago. :wheel
Some People are like Slinkies - not really useful, but watching them fall down stairs makes you smile...

Sparky

If I was in the market to replace my Steamer the Africa Twin would be at the top of my short list. 

The bigger question would be DCT or not ?  Do I want to pay for technology that I don't really need as I don't mind shifting gears and consider it part of the riding experience.  I wonder if the DCT is technology for the sake of technology ?  It's not like ABS or traction control which do not take away from the riding experience as these systems do their thing in the background with little intrusion until needed.  It will be interesting to see the sales numbers on DCT vs non DCT.   
1998 Steamer. Sold, replaced with a 2016 Africa Twin.
1982 Honda FT 500 Ascot,  1983 Honda VT 500 Ascot

John Stenhouse

I would complain to the organisers, they could have had a nice Orange Girly that has done the Dempster and the Dalton on the stand, all they had to do was ask and I could have got Lawrence to dig it out of the shed. :ImaPoser
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting