News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Off to the 'bike show tomorrow....

Started by nickjtc, January 21, 2016, 11:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

Interesting road test article on the Africa Twin in the latest Rider mag. The tester had some reservations about the dct off road:

"During technical riding, such as slow, tricky, hill climbs or weaving around obstacles, not being able to manually feather the clutch is problematic. Also, in the automatic modes, gear changes can happen unexpectedly, which is less than ideal in low traction situations."

He did like the reality that you cannot stall the engine, though.

I admit that I am getting more curious about the bike all the time.

Interestingly the bike is 'cheaper' here than in the US. $12,999US converts to $18,168can at the current exchange rate. Here the base price is $17,999.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Nick Calne

Touratech have made luggage for it I understand.

By way of comparison, how much is a tiger xcx in Canada?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Sparky

Nick where did you get the $17,999 price ?

Courtenay Motorsports website shows the base model at $14,299 and the DCT model at $14,999, compared to similar models from other manufacturers I think the pricing is very competitive.
1998 Steamer. Sold, replaced with a 2016 Africa Twin.
1982 Honda FT 500 Ascot,  1983 Honda VT 500 Ascot

nickjtc

Quote from: Sparky on January 30, 2016, 11:39:54 PM
Nick where did you get the $17,999 price ?

Woops. You're right. I was looking at the VFR1200X price. Honda.ca lists the price as "from" $13,999. We are getting a stonking deal compared to our friends south of the border. Unless, of course, their taxes are significantly less than ours.

nickjtc

Quote from: Nick Calne on January 30, 2016, 11:35:23 PM
By way of comparison, how much is a tiger xcx in Canada?

From around $14,200 and up, plus pdi/documentation/freight/taxes, depending on location. So probably around $16,000, or about 8,000 pounds otr. Triumphs are (finally) getting more and more popular here, although I have only seen a handful of 800 Tigers, ever.

Chris Canning

Quote from: nickjtc on January 28, 2016, 11:05:35 PM
Guilty, as charged. I know I'm a dinosaur... and proud of it. :thumbsup

Nothing to be proud about look what happened to them!!

It's why I have tried to keep my bikes as up to date as pos with brakes/wheels/suspension and anything else that helps the job along,ride you old bike in isolation!! Then fine come up against a modern day version that's when you find how things have moved on.

motoOzarks

buy the manual trans and put a recluse or similar in it so it doesn't stall.

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

nickjtc

Quote from: Chris Canning on January 31, 2016, 10:40:12 AM
Nothing to be proud about look what happened to them!!

I think I know what is going to happen to me, Chris :icon_wink: :icon_wink: Except it probably won't be an asteroid. :qgaraduate

Bixxer Bob

Going back to the video, I love the Africa Twin colour scheme and the overall look is growing on me. As I said, it looks better in life than in the pics.  And I agree, a skilled rider can make just about anything look good.  Guy Martin won Dirt Quake (a mad, race-what-you-brung event at Kings Lynn speedway cinder track) on a HD chopper FFS  :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

people like to pick on harleys ...............
but in old skool days a harley wore the #1 AMA plate for quite awhile .

turn right throw it sideways and throttle on .............................yeeha

JayDub

"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

nickjtc

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on February 01, 2016, 11:45:36 AM
Guy Martin won Dirt Quake (a mad, race-what-you-brung event at Kings Lynn speedway cinder track) on a HD chopper FFS  :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Brilliant. I'm not sure how that would work over here with all of the liability issues..........

Mustang

Quote from: nickjtc on February 01, 2016, 05:06:17 PM
Brilliant. I'm not sure how that would work over here with all of the liability issues..........
sign a waiver...............
they have them here all the time

Chris Canning

Quote from: Mustang on February 01, 2016, 03:54:48 PM

but in old skool days a harley wore the #1 AMA plate for quite awhile .

Only because the AMA fixed the rules so it wasn't possible to use any else that was competitive. :icon_wink: