News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Injector Cleaning

Started by Dyn Blin, January 29, 2016, 11:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dyn Blin

'thought I'd share some anecdotal info for the tribal knowledge database

We have a stable of older Vovlo's.  With the oldest wagon coming up on 300k miles, I sent the injectors off to be professionally cleaned and tested.  I generally keep a close tab on fresh petrol, adding stabilizer when it's going to sit for more than a few days, and add an injector supplement (SeaFoam, Techron, Lucas, etc- whatever's on sale) every few tank fulls for good measure.  Because of this ongoing attention, I didn't expect much change to performance.  I was wrong.  The already decent idle is now smooth as silk, acceleration is more "even" through the RPM band, and mileage improved 2MPG. 

Segue to Tiger content....

I was so impressed, I sent the tiger's in for the same service.  The difference is just as pronounced- smoother idle, less pop (although I enjoy that "feature" on my Girly) and some of the snatchy throttle is much improved on the 3-3.5k RPM band.  Wrist and butt dyno's  seem to be trying to convince me the 5th gear roll-on is a bit beefier, too.

I keep my girl well tuned, but she gets the miles.  I performed a TB sync in Oct, and again of course after installing the cleaned injectors, otherwise no other recent work done.

This particular servicer uses a UK-made system for ultrasonic cleaning and bench testing for electrical spec, spray & flow rate, and does  a"rebuild" with o-rings, grommets, filters & pintle caps as needed.  I would imagine other servicers' processes see similar results. Cost was under $60 shipped both ways for the 3 injectors.  YMMV, but worthwhile in my case.
This is why we can't have nice things.

nickjtc

That's very interesting. We've always been under the assumption that Sea Foam or whatever does the job in terms of injector maintenance. With my Kia car they sell a proprietary 'injector cleaner' that you have to bung in every 12k or so, but they never say anything about the long term possibility that a proper injector strip and clean would be a good idea.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"