News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Here's an interesting thing: throttle body balancing

Started by nickjtc, February 03, 2016, 03:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

I have got access to both Dealertool and Tune ECU to faff around with diagnostics and whatnot on the Roadie. Dealertool helped do a 'complete' brake bleed the other week by allowing the opening of the ABS circuit. Can't say that it made any obvious difference to the process, but.......

Anyhoo I decided to check the balance of the throttle bodies the other day. They were pretty close because Dealertool flickered between 'balanced' and 'adjust'. One of the bodies was about 2kpa different than the others. After taking the airbox off and then re-connecting all of the plugs with it sitting beside the bike, I could not get a reconnection to the Dealertool programme, so ended up doing the (minute) adjustment with Tune ECU, which did connect.

This was somewhat vexing since you'd expect a programme that you have to pay for to work as well as a freebie, so I contacted Dealertool. Here is their reply:

We can only imagine that there is interference from the coils now the tank is not covering. Try routing the interface and cable away from this area, also you could try grounding the chassis of the laptop to the battery NEGATIVE terminal - this has been found to help on the rare occasion when some laptops are sensitive to this type of issue.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

JoeDirt

Were you able to get your Dealertool to work again?

I can understand their concern about getting the cable too close to the coils. The coils create a huge amount of electrical noise/energy that can interfere with digital communication. The connecting wire will act like an antenna, especially if the cable is not properly shielded.

I am concerned about grounding the laptop chassis to a negative terminal. The case would have to be manufactured from something besides plastic. :icon_rolleyes:

motoOzarks

In the event of no metal chassis in the laptop then

laptop battery negative terminal to bike battery negative terminal?

the casing may be covering a metal framework or chassis

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

nickjtc

Quote from: JoeDirt on February 03, 2016, 04:24:15 PM
Were you able to get your Dealertool to work again?

Yes, it works fine when everything is back together.  I would be feeling pretty miffed if I had just bought Dealertool and did not know about Tune ECU.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

Very few laptops made in the last 5 years have a metal chassis and even fewer have a serial port. Grounding the USB casing should do the same as grounding the serial port frame.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

blacktiger

Quote from: nickjtc on February 03, 2016, 07:38:55 PM

Yes, it works fine when everything is back together.  I would be feeling pretty miffed if I had just bought Dealertool and did not know about Tune ECU.

I don't think Tuneecu allows bleeding of an ABS brake system. Also, it doesn't allow you to turn off the "service due" spanner.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

SteveFord

I don't know about the Tigers but Tune ECU allows ABS bleeding for the 1050 Sprints.