News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Any recommendations for Rear shok on a 2003 Spoked Girly?

Started by oradbaforpsoft, February 04, 2016, 02:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oradbaforpsoft

I am not looking to break the bank, but looking for a tried/tested replacement for my stock rear shock.

Thanks
Dave in Dallas.
Dave in KCMO: 2003 Tiger 955i - Lucifer Orange

JoeDirt

Search this forum for "Wilbers" and "Hagon" shocks. There are guys that would trade their first born for one. I have the original on mine and would probably look at one of  those if I were on the market. Granted, they will set you back $600-800USD. They have a remote adjustment so you can adjust them while riding.

~JD

Chris Canning

Quote from: JoeDirt on February 04, 2016, 04:06:41 AM
They have a remote adjustment so you can adjust them while riding.

Only if you spec and pay for it they do :icon_wink: stock they don't.

Hence why folks get confused who don't do their home work!!

Ohlins only seem expensive because they normally come in a high spec,specify any other manufacture in the the same spec and they ain't cheap  either.

JoeDirt

Quote from: Chris Canning on February 04, 2016, 01:38:51 PM
Only if you spec and pay for it they do :icon_wink: stock they don't.

Hence why folks get confused who don't do their home work!!

So, you would be okay with "Some have a remote adjustment so you can adjust them while riding."? I changed "They" to "Some"...

Chris Canning

Ajust while riding :bug_eye

You can have a remote preload on any of them so long as you pay :icon_wink:

Timbox2

The Tiger I have just bought came with a Hagon on the back, and now Ive got the remote preload working its ok, but I think the purchaser was lighter than me as its still a little on the soft side, or its just past its best, I think its done about 20K miles and is probably 10 years old. I do remember a couple of Hagons snapping on Tigers a few years back, but maybe that was poor maintenance.

In the UK a Hagon with remote preload is £424, a Wilbers or Hyperpro Emulsion shock is around £600, everybody has a budget and the Hagon will undoubtedly be better than stock but I think I would sell whatever and stump the extra £200 up for a Wilbers, which I will be doing in the not too distant future
2016 Tiger Sport

jp7rgv

What's your opinion about wilbers without remote preload?
I have found a used one and I am planning to purchase it.

motoOzarks

Do you vary how you use the bike enough to warrant an adjustment?

If it's cheap enough just try it and see
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

jp7rgv

If the only difference is the remote preload and the rest is the same ok no doubts, but the price difference is so big that I believed that it is completely different schock

Chris Canning

In the days of me biking with shocks that didn't have a remote preload,the sound of the adjuster rings being turned on the shock thread with grit on them has never left me,did I forget the skinned knuckles with a C spanner,or in my early barbaric days a hammer and screw driver and the joy of looking at damaged locking rings :icon_redface: I digress!!

In theory there's no reason why it shouldn't be OK it's just what will take 45 minutes(at least) of huffing and puffing takes me 3 seconds.

What I can tell you for sure what ever you fit will be light years better than the junk Triumph did and that was when the bike was new never mind all these years on.

Sasquatch

What I have on my Tiger as well as what I sell most of for the 955i Tigers is a Hyperpro shock and remote spring preload adjuster.  Huge improvement over stock in terms of performance.  The spring adjuster is almost a mandatory item on the Tiger as getting to the spanners is a royal pain the the butt.  Back it off when running light and crank it up when you have a load. 
Sasquatch
adventurepowersports.us

RumRunnerGuy

Quote from: Sasquatch on February 05, 2016, 10:16:27 PM
What I have on my Tiger as well as what I sell most of for the 955i Tigers is a Hyperpro shock and remote spring preload adjuster.  Huge improvement over stock in terms of performance.  The spring adjuster is almost a mandatory item on the Tiger as getting to the spanners is a royal pain the the butt.  Back it off when running light and crank it up when you have a load.

What kind of price are these?

Sasquatch

Quote from: RumRunnerGuy on February 07, 2016, 04:56:25 PM

What kind of price are these?

You are looking at about $890 for a custom Hyperpro built for you with adjustable rebound and a hydraulic spring preload adjuster.
Sasquatch
adventurepowersports.us

Timbox2

Quote from: Sasquatch on February 09, 2016, 08:06:54 PM
You are looking at about $890 for a custom Hyperpro built for you with adjustable rebound and a hydraulic spring preload adjuster.

Yep, sounds similar, about £600 UK spondoolies over here for the same, Wilbers or Hyperpro, and about another £200 if you want remote res with high and low compression
2016 Tiger Sport

Bigfeesh

Maxton, I got what I thought was a reasonable quote for around £450 from them, their shocks are on the majority of TT bikes, look for the purple springs!
Tiptop