News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Relocated spotlights

Started by nickjtc, February 06, 2016, 11:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

As installed, Rhoda came with a pair of spotlights (the "melt ice at 400 metres" variety) mounted to a bracket below the headlight/instrument housing. The thought has been nagging at me that this means all of the lighting on the bike is rigid and only illuminates as the bike makes its turns.

So, out of curiosity, I've fabricated a bracket which bolts under the lower triple clamp and which therefore allows the lights to move with the steering. Time will tell whether this was an act of folly!

"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

Check your full fork compression clearance, looks awfully close and you'd be surprised just how much travel the Roadie uses under hard braking  :bug_eye
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on February 07, 2016, 12:07:11 AM
Check your full fork compression clearance, looks awfully close and you'd be surprised just how much travel the Roadie uses under hard braking  :bug_eye

Good point. I pogo'd up and down on the forks with great gusto, thinking I was hitting full compression of the forks, when I measured things up. Time will tell once she's back on the road.... still at least a month to go until consistently rideable weather.

Sin_Tiger

You need at least 140mm clear. I tried that mounting arrangement on another bike and didn't like it because it was only any use at walking pace when you actually use the steering, the rest of the time you counter steer and I personally found that a bit disconcerting as the light goes the other way momentarily.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Thanks a lot, as always! I appreciate that feedback. Time will tell, of course, but I still have the original mounting to default to.

It sucks to be stuck in la la land where it is just too cold to substantiate insuring the bike to be able to ride for a day or two a month. Roll on the end of March. :icon_wink:

nickjtc

PS. At the start of my 'ride' last summer the spots were not working; loose connection in the bowels of the fairing as it turned out. Since I did not miss them at any time in the night time riding I did, I ended up taking them off when I got home, so they sit collection dust in the shed. :icon_wink:

Sin_Tiger

Just so long as dopey drivers missed you too. Feel an eBay coming on  :bad