News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Random Misfire sounds almost like air leak

Started by jamman, February 21, 2016, 10:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamman

Hi I have '99 885i Tiger and I get a misfire that occurs maybe once a minute, sounds like a air leak when it happens .. like when you pop a air tool out of an air compressor fitting

Get a bit of backfire also on decel ... especially when warmed up ...

Run pretty good when winding her up ...

Any suggestions ?

Bixxer Bob

Some popping on decel is normal.  The backfiring obviously isn't.  You don't say how many miles the bike's done or how long you've had it, but I'd take a look at the valve clearances first.  If you have an inlet valve not closing properly it needs urgent attention otherwise you risk burning it out.

Just in case you don't know,  shimmed valves are the opposite of old fashioned tappets; the more they wear, the smaller the gap gets (the valve recedes into the head) whereas in the old days with tappets the gap got bigger, so if they're quiet, that's not a good sign.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

jamman

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on February 21, 2016, 10:23:15 PM
Some popping on decel is normal.  The backfiring obviously isn't.  You don't say how many miles the bike's done or how long you've had it, but I'd take a look at the valve clearances first.  If you have an inlet valve not closing properly it needs urgent attention otherwise you risk burning it out.

Just in case you don't know,  shimmed valves are the opposite of old fashioned tappets; the more they wear, the smaller the gap gets (the valve recedes into the head) whereas in the old days with tappets the gap got bigger, so if they're quiet, that's not a good sign.

32K on it ... not sure of service history

Bixxer Bob

The clearances should be ok at those miles unless it's been thrashed. 

You could also be looking for a faulty plug, faulty wiring to the coil stick, an air leak.  It's hard to know where to start.  Do you have any way of reading the ECU to see if there are any fault codes?  We generally use free software called TuneECU but any OBD fault code reader will do.  It might help show where to look.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

jamman

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on February 21, 2016, 10:35:00 PM
The clearances should be ok at those miles unless it's been thrashed. 

You could also be looking for a faulty plug, faulty wiring to the coil stick, an air leak.  It's hard to know where to start.  Do you have any way of reading the ECU to see if there are any fault codes?  We generally use free software called TuneECU but any OBD fault code reader will do.  It might help show where to look.

Just changed the plugs and air filter is good ... will check for air leaks and get a code reader or cable and install Tune ECU and go from there ..

Will post back with results

Thanks much !!

Bixxer Bob

Once you have TuneECU up and running, look at the dwell tiime for the coils, they should all be roughly the same.  If one is lagging behind the others you could be looking at a coil stick issue.

JayDub

Referring to your tune ECU thread. Did it miss and pop on deceleration BEFORE you  drilled holes in the cans?
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

jamman

From what I remember it did do that some ... seems more after the baffle holes were added .. 

jamman

What is bothersome is the random sputter issue or misfire ... happens randomly at idle and when at a stoplight she will occasionally die but it will starts right up ... kinda embarassing ...

It's is very loud wish I could post the sound .. almost like a steam engine or when you plug in an air tool to a compressor hose

JayDub

I think the popping is due to the extra holes you drilled, but the spitting does sound more like valve gear or coil stick(s) like Bixxer said.
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

jamman

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on February 22, 2016, 11:34:46 AM
Once you have TuneECU up and running, look at the dwell tiime for the coils, they should all be roughly the same.  If one is lagging behind the others you could be looking at a coil stick issue.

Here is a snapshot when running .. anything stand out ?

jamman

I cleared the fuel pump codes as I removed the tank etc when changing the plugs

Bixxer Bob

Dwell time for the middle coil is a bit behind the other two, and it's always the middle one that goes first.  And they are now down to £45 each as opposed to over £100.

But before you do that, use TuneECU to cycle the IACV and make sure it's working properly (it will cycle through the full range of movement a couple of times) and check the corrugated tubes for leaks.  These are common faults and easy to check and fix.

Also, you might find that simply reloading your map sorts it.  The reload resets the trims, which can have wandered off if the battery voltage has been low for any reason.  If you have an O2 sensor in the exhaust down pipe, ride it after the reload and it'll trim itself after 20-30miles.  No O2 sensor, do the 12 minute tune.

jamman

Thanks so much for the valuable input !!

Any place to get them at that price in the US ?

Thanks

jamman

Found a set on ebay from a very low mileage bike (7K) and grabbed them ...