News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Random Misfire sounds almost like air leak

Started by jamman, February 21, 2016, 10:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

:icon_redface:

They'll never come in wrong as the old ones crack so it's not money wasted, but you were quick on the trigger there.   Some of the low / no cost stuff could be the issue.  It's hard to tell from here.

No matter,  your approach now may be:

Reload the map and run it to see if you have made progress.

If not:

Tank off.
IACV check using TuneECU.
IACV tube check.
Remove old coils and plugs.
Remove cam cover and check valve clearances (number one suspect).
Fit cam cover (this is all covered in the Girly Wisdom thread).  Gasket is re-usable so don't damage it but the four half circle bungs need a dab of gasket goo.  (don't overdo this, you don't want it breaking off and blocking an oilway; just a very light smear is enough).
Fit new plugs and coils (keep the old ones but mark the suspect one).
Re- assemble everything else.

Hopefully you'll find something as you progress otherwise when you put it back together you'll wonder what fixed it, assuming you have.

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

BB,
are the coil sticks made by Gill ?

Gill uses the cheapest ,dirtiest ,nastiest wire made to make the winding's........................

too bad there isn't aftermarket for the coil sticks  :^_^
us steamer guys can go to nology or pvl to get damn fine replacements  :thumbsup

just replace the sticks and see what happens ................
remember "If it aint broke ..............Don't fuck with it !"

Bixxer Bob

Good point M.  It's just that it's easier / quicker to do everything while you're in there.  One thing at time is methodical and you'll know what it was when you fixed it though.

The coil sticks are Spanish made Denso items.  Not known to give a great deal of trouble but prone to cracks in the casing with age.  AS with Chris's bike the middle one gets hottest and so goes first as a general rule.

I picked up the dwell time thing from a car electronics website a while back when I was looking for solutions to a fault on my daughter's car.  As you'd expec,t the time (in milliseconds) should be roughly the same for all three.  In his screen shot, the middle one is noticeably behind the other two.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Mustang on February 26, 2016, 06:22:54 PM
BB,
are the coil sticks made by Gill ?

Not sure about the originals for the Girly's, Clive Woods has sourced PVL items and will shortly be offering them as a kit complete with W/T connections and pre-soldered fly leads. I'll let you know when is confirmed and the prices.

No log stuff is all PVL in drag according to an industry source I spoke to and this was confirmed by an electronics engineer who had opted some Nology branded coils and they were clearly marked PVL internally.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

jamman

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on February 26, 2016, 09:36:25 AM
Dwell time for the middle coil is a bit behind the other two, and it's always the middle one that goes first.  And they are now down to £45 each as opposed to over £100.

But before you do that, use TuneECU to cycle the IACV and make sure it's working properly (it will cycle through the full range of movement a couple of times) and check the corrugated tubes for leaks.  These are common faults and easy to check and fix.

Also, you might find that simply reloading your map sorts it.  The reload resets the trims, which can have wandered off if the battery voltage has been low for any reason.  If you have an O2 sensor in the exhaust down pipe, ride it after the reload and it'll trim itself after 20-30miles.  No O2 sensor, do the 12 minute tune.

How do I cycle the IACV ?? Don't see an option for that ... Only see that it can be raised/lowered by clicking the up/down arrows ...

Thanks

jamman

Loaded the 9893 map for the TOR exhaust since I drilled my baffle plate ..

Did 12 sec tune ... still get the occasional miss and it happens more when it gets warmer

Will ride it and see if there is any noticeable difference ..

What is odd is that there seems to be no dedicated headlight only fuse or relay ... the only one that turns them off turns off other things (fuel pump etc) and the ECU will not connect with that fuse removed

Sticks will take about a week to get here ... plus I need to run the gas out of the tank anyway ..  :wheel

Will post back my findings ..

Thanks for all the great info !

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on February 26, 2016, 07:30:03 PM
Not sure about the originals for the Girly's, Clive Woods has sourced PVL items and will shortly be offering them as a kit complete with W/T connections and pre-soldered fly leads. I'll let you know when is confirmed and the prices.

No log stuff is all PVL in drag according to an industry source I spoke to and this was confirmed by an electronics engineer who had opted some Nology branded coils and they were clearly marked PVL internally.

Apples and monkey nuts Sin,  Item 8:

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_locator.php?block_01=&block_02=100058993-1-2&block_03=23605

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: jamman on February 26, 2016, 08:44:14 PM
How do I cycle the IACV ?? Don't see an option for that ... Only see that it can be raised/lowered by clicking the up/down arrows ...

Thanks

On TuneECU go to the TEST tab, top right, then left column, half way down, test and adjust.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on February 26, 2016, 10:34:53 PM
Apples and monkey nuts Sin

Fair wrist slap  :icon_redface: I blame Mustang in my defence.

On Topic. A tip I picked up from the Magnecor Engineer, although a very light coat of Red Rubber Grease is beneficial to the longevity of the seal, don't overdo it. Make sure the breather hole is clear, if it gets blocked it will cause the enclosed surfaces to harden due to ionisation.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

JAMMAN, I just noticed that your injection pulses are a bit out of sync as well.  Its normal to vary a little, but it might be worth watching them and the ign while it's running to see if they spike when it coughs.  If they do it'll give a clue as to which cylinder is the issue and why.  The ECU is reading something that's causing it to vary; whether that's an air leak, or an iffy connection, or whatever is for further investigation.   

Mustang

jamman

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on February 27, 2016, 02:34:20 PM
JAMMAN, I just noticed that your injection pulses are a bit out of sync as well.  Its normal to vary a little, but it might be worth watching them and the ign while it's running to see if they spike when it coughs.  If they do it'll give a clue as to which cylinder is the issue and why.  The ECU is reading something that's causing it to vary; whether that's an air leak, or an iffy connection, or whatever is for further investigation.

Great ... will do !! thanks ...

jamman

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on February 26, 2016, 10:40:11 PM
On TuneECU go to the TEST tab, top right, then left column, half way down, test and adjust.

I ran this test and no error codes ... just got the new Ignition Sticks ... going to try those next ... will update !

jamman

OK, removed tank to install the replacement ignition sticks and notices that on all 3 throttle bodies the little rubber tubes that go to each one were cracked and falling apart ..

None of the diagnostics gave any errors codes ... not sure they should have ...

Where do I get replacement tubes and where do they connect ?? To the air box ??

Thanks