News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Random Misfire sounds almost like air leak

Started by jamman, February 21, 2016, 10:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamman

Thanks for the info .. will pull the tank and replace the vac hose with fuel line and an elbow and see how it runs

jamman

Redid the vacuum lines with fuel line made sure none are pinched ... no change ...

When its cold idles ok right at 1000 RPM when pulling in the clutch to stop ... when it gets good and warmed up dives to 200-300 rpm and sometime recovers slowly back to 1000 RPMs but most of the time it dies unless I let the engine slowly wind down coming to a light before pulling in the clutch ..

I remember when I first got TuneECU going I changed the IACV setting by accident I think it was -2 if I remember correctly and it is set to 0 now .. not sure if that could affect this ...

Any suggestions are welcome thanks much !

JoeDirt

Sorry the fuel hose didn't do the trick...

Other things to check:

Fuel - How long have you had your fuel? Has it sat for a while allowing water to condensate?
Spark - Have you checked your spark plugs and set the gap?
             Are you getting 12v+ when running?
Air - Throttle bodies might need sync'ed.
        http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php?topic=6473

One more thing, is there a lot of slop in your throttle cable before you "rev" up? Might need adjusted.

Timbox2

Quote from: jamman on March 14, 2016, 05:26:56 AM
Redid the vacuum lines with fuel line made sure none are pinched ... no change ...

When its cold idles ok right at 1000 RPM when pulling in the clutch to stop ... when it gets good and warmed up dives to 200-300 rpm and sometime recovers slowly back to 1000 RPMs but most of the time it dies unless I let the engine slowly wind down coming to a light before pulling in the clutch ..

I remember when I first got TuneECU going I changed the IACV setting by accident I think it was -2 if I remember correctly and it is set to 0 now .. not sure if that could affect this ...

Well, thats the same problem I had with the last Tiger and in the end I had to replace the stepper motor. But, I hadnt messed with the Tune ECU setting so maybe you can recover it, but Im not sure how. Thing is, when started from cold the motor should sit at anywhere between 2000 and 1500 revs depending on temperature and then slowly drop to 1200 as it warms up, how cold is it where you are at the moment? If you just turn the ignition on and off do you hear the stepper cycling? Oh, and dont be tempted to dismantle the stepper assy, it will end in tears.
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

As Bixxer's has said a billion times on here F about with these things at your peril,I put a new stepper on mine last year with new pipe and a balance even after 500 miles it was still sorting itself out and got better every time I rode it.

Bixxer Bob

I can't remember what you have and haven't done so sorry if I'm repeating myself.

Throttle bodies need to be balanced (not part of this issue but is key to getting them running right, and a bugger to do if they're not.  I don't faff with trying to hold 2k revs on the throttle while doing them, I fit T pieces with an additional piece of pipe so the IACV is connected as well as the balancer the whole time.  You get a more accurate result because the throttle bodies are closed as they should be and you are only balancing the IACV flows.  And I know that is done by cracking the TBs open slightly but you get my drift).

Using TuneECU cycle the IACV with the engine off and listen for it cycling. If the tank is off it watch it, should move smoothly through out it's range.

The stepper setting should be around 35 steps.  Make a note of what it is before you start, try setting it at 35 first (bearing in mind -2 to 35 is a masssive jump) and see what happens.  When it's right blipping the throttle will have a clean pick up without bogging and overrun shouldn't pop and bang too much.  If 35 is nearly right only change a couple of steps at  time because it only needs small changes.  It could be it's trimmed itself down to -2 due to the pipe problem.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

jamman

Thanks

Where is the stepper setting in tuneECU ?

JoeDirt

jamman

so I should set the IACV to 35 ? It  was set to 0

JoeDirt

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on March 14, 2016, 12:04:20 PM
only change a couple of steps at  time because it only needs small changes.

I would say what Bixxer Bob says... :icon_salut:

Dev_1

Quote from: jamman on March 14, 2016, 05:26:56 AM

I'm having the same issues... almost like the bike hiccups after warmed up and sitting at idle or coasting. I too have replaced the vacuum lines, installing an elbow isn't a bad idea. Have been leaning towards replacing my coils.  :m
Can't seem to get TuneECU to work... maybe because the headlight fuse also kills the fuel pump (as I've read here).

Watching this thread very closely.  :new_popcornsmiley

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: jamman on March 20, 2016, 01:57:42 AM
so I should set the IACV to 35 ? It  was set to 0

Sorry mate,been offline for a while.  Yes, adjust toward 35 in small steps.  It should work out to be around 35.  The optimum is when you blip the throttle and the revs pick up cleanly without hesitation and drop back to idle without too much popping.  One side of optimum it'll bog  before picking up and drop back smoothly, the other side of optimum it'll pick up cleanly but pop abd bang dropping back.

AS always, make a noteof take a phot of the readings before you start so you can go back to them if necessary.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

jamman

All

Yes adjusted up to 35 and it runs great !! idles nicely now no more issue ...

Enjoying the ride once again !!

Thanks everyone especially Bixer for the help !!!

Gary

Bixxer Bob