News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Front Sprocket Removal Help

Started by Snowcat73, February 25, 2016, 09:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowcat73

Just come to replace the chain and sprockets on my 2004 Tiger 955i, as expected the rear sprocket nuts were finger tight (to go with the side stand, centre stand and pretty much every nut, bolt and fastener I touch in this bike)!! Anyway came to the front sprocket and the nut won't budge. Have sprayed ACF 50 on it for the last few days but tried a long bar with someone sat on the bike with the back brake on and it still spins up the rear wheel.

I don't have an air/electric impact gun and to be honest would be wary about one damaging the shaft or something in the gearbox.

Apart from using a longer bar and physically blocking the rear wheel with a piece of wood does anyone have any useful tips for removing it?

Thanks

Steve

nickjtc

You could try a wedge-ish piece of wood stuffed between the sprocket itself and the meatiest part of the adjacent crankcase, then try reefing on it with a mighty bar. I've used that technique a couple of times.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Timbox2

You might want to check your rear caliper, to overcome the force of the pads gripping the disc on a properly functioning brake takes considerable torque. But in the mean time you could try a block of wood between the chain and the rear sprocket on the bottom run, your replacing both so damage to either is irrelevant.
2016 Tiger Sport

Sin_Tiger

LAST resort, weld a bar onto the sprocket that is long enough to rest on solid ground, let the welding cool before trying to turn it.

If possible have the right side of the bike near a wall or support, if you have an old mattress or similar just in case.

And whatever you do DON'T do it alone, I hate lying on cold ground waiting for a kindly passers by to lift a bike off me  :icon_rolleyes:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

Nearly all the the front sprocket nuts I see are taken off with an air gun and the odd few that won't go are with a 60cm breaker bar.

Mustang

John Stenhouse

You have flattened the tab washer haven't you?
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

nickjtc

Quote from: John Stenhouse on February 26, 2016, 09:57:23 PM
You have flattened the tab washer haven't you?

That's a good point. :thumbsup Don't ask. :icon_redface:

PeteH

Sit on bike and have it in first gear,  apply front and rear brake and have a feckin long bar on the socket attached to the nut... apply massive force by left foot to said long bar...worked for me
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Snowcat73

Kindly mechanic friend has borrowed me his Snap-On cordless air gun, he's not sure it's up to the job power wise but I also have a 4ft length of tube as a back up, this nut is coming off today!!

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Snowcat73 on February 27, 2016, 11:43:43 AM
Kindly mechanic friend has borrowed me his Snap-On cordless air gun, he's not sure it's up to the job power wise but I also have a 4ft length of tube as a back up, this nut is coming off today!!

You might be pleasantly surprised at the force these battery guns can achieve. Good luck and wear glasses.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Snowcat73

Snap-On's finest did the job!! Judging by the big chunk taken out of it and the crack in it someone has had trouble with this before. It's chisled to hell, a right mess, new nut needed but job done!! Cheers for the help guys 👍

nickjtc

Good work.... always satisfying when that stubborn nut finally comes loose. Especially when you find out in some obscure cases that it has a reverse thread. :augie

JayDub

Quote from: Snowcat73 on February 27, 2016, 11:43:43 AM
I was worried as to who's nut would come off... well done.

Sin_Tiger