News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Going Back to Stock Pipe

Started by Steveboot, March 06, 2016, 12:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steveboot

Bought my 2001 with a Blue Flame exhaust and PO did say the fuel injection was remapped for the pipe. Now I'm going back to the stock pipe and suspect I need to change the map so that I'm not running too rich.

So, I read about the 12 minute tune. Will that reset it to the stock pipe map?

Thanks in advance, and please forgive my ignorance....

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: Steveboot on March 06, 2016, 12:21:52 AM

Hey Steveboot !! one work answer, No !!

my question would be, Why go back to a stock pipe ??

as far as i know you can run the stock pipe with the TOR map but you may have to tinker with it a
bit  :thumbsup

KK 
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

JoeDirt

Quote from: Steveboot on March 06, 2016, 12:21:52 AM

Twelve minute tune does not reset the MAP. You'll need to replace the MAP file with TuneECU. Now you will need to purchase a cable to communicate to the ECU on the bike. And, you'll need a computer with USB within cable distance of your motorcycle to upload a new "original" map.

Use the following thread for more information. If you don't want to do it yourself... a Triumph dealer can change your map for $$$.

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,8852

Steveboot

Going back to the stock pipe because I like stealthy motorcycles  :icon_cool:  And I generally am very happy with the stock performance...  And I can sell off the Blue Flame pipe to free up funds for more needed things!

And while I have never applied a map I am more than willing to try (and unwilling to go to my dealer to have it done)!!

KuzzinKenny

"free up funds for more needed things" as good a reason as any  :thumbsup

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

nickjtc

Be not afraid of the elecktrickery involved here. Follow the instructions on the Tune ECU site, and Google up some YouTubes on how to do it, and even a dolt like me can fathom it out.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Chris Canning

Be very afraid of the electrictrickery!!,if you need to sell your can for the peanuts it will fetch,get Tune ECU wrong and it will burn you to the ground financially,just put the stock can on and see how you go before you do anything.

Steveboot

Stock pipe went on yesterday and just got back from about an hour ride of mixed roads. She performed flawlessly! Pulled cleanly from idle through 8k, lots of low end torque, and to my ear she sounds much better :-)

Time will tell whether the plugs foil from too rich a mix, but for now I'm going to leave her be!

nickjtc

Good for you! Thinking of doing the same thing with my Roadie.

JoeDirt

Quote from: Steveboot on March 06, 2016, 05:28:39 PM
Stock pipe went on yesterday and just got back from about an hour ride of mixed roads. She performed flawlessly!

I am glad you got her running. The previous owner may have just put the TOR exhaust without changing MAP files.

Personally, I would still make the small investment of purchasing a $20 TuneECU cable off eBay or Amazon. Only way you'll know which MAP you really have. :^_^

Bixxer Bob

I was about to say "What Chris said" try it, it should be ok.  And it is, obviously.

Blueflame is supposed to run ok witht he standard tune so it could be that the original was never changed,  but I'm running the offroad tunewith a standard pipe and it's fine. 

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nickjtc

Because we have a long-ish "non-riding" season here it gives lots of time to do this kind of investigative stuff. Once you've got the appropriate cable to connect between the bike and your PC (somewhat inconvenient) or laptop, and downloaded the appropriate software it's a good excuse to sit and admire the bike over a couple of brewskis, just to see what elecktrickery is in the engine management system.

As Chris says, however, do not have too many of the aforementioned brewskis before pushing critical buttons. :icon_wink:

Bixxer Bob

While on the subject, Clive Woods plugged the proper Triumph software into mine and apparently I hold some sort of record for the number of times the map has been changed.  Eighty two apparently ..... :augie
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

That just beats me for the number of times I've had the Steamer carbs opened  :icon_rolleyes:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

fattyjr

I would never go back to the stock exhaust.  Too restrictive and my tiger runs a whole lot better with the modified TOR tune.
98 tiger 885i, 2001 Daytona 955i, 92 trident/sprint 900, 98 trophy 1200, 96 trophy 900, 59 t120 bonnieville, 64 t120 bonnieville, 63, tiger t100s/s, 98 tl1000s, 07 Buell xb1200, 98 husqvarna sm610  x2, 81 husqvarna cr500, 84 husqvarna cr500, 98 xvs650, 90 sportster 883/1200 race bike. And a few more