News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Aftermarket can and ECU

Started by nellie691, March 07, 2016, 07:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nellie691

Hello all,

Was after some advice if possible,

I've just bought myself a lovely 2001 Green 955i tiger, I love it - after many years on a Suzuki TL1000s, its so much easier and comfortable to ride.

Its bog standard, been immaculately serviced by the the previous owner and has 30,000 miles

Performance wise I love it, its plenty quick enough for me and the only thing I want to change (At the moment) is the exhaust, as its a bit too quiet.

So anyway me being me I've ordered an after market pipe with removable baffle, question is, do I have to remap it, I've read though the posts and although I am confident I could do it, I am a little wary of messing with something which I don't fully understand and at the moment doesn't seem to need touching.

I spoke to my local Triumph dealer and they will do it for £42.00, which I am happy to pay if it makes it better,

I will keep reading the threads but just wanted some other opinions

Many thanks

Neil

Timbox2

The funny thing is mate, the bike is 15 years old and there is every chance it may have the TOR tune already, how new does the Std Triumph can look? But honestly if I were you I would probably pay the £42 to a Dealer. If you feel the bikes a keeper go get a Lead and download Tune ECU but start by playing with it a bit first and read more before installing a map, yes its fairly easy but why take the chance for £42, a bricked ECU dont come that cheap.
2016 Tiger Sport

nellie691

Hi

The can is in very good condition, but then again the rest of the bike is incredibly clean as as well,  I do intend to keep the bike for the foreseeable future, but I think for this time I will let the dealer remap it,

Bixxer Bob

If it runs well, first rule is don't f**k with it, you'll be sorry.

Fit the new can and run it.  You'll probably find after 20-30 miles, if not immediately, it'll run fine.  Only go to the dealer for a remap if it's not running as well as it did.

One step at a time and don't throw money at it until you have to :qgaraduate
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nellie691

Cheers, Well its fitted, but I haven't had time to give it a run yet, I am all for leaving it alone if I can ....Ill try and post a pic

nellie691

Timbox2

Someones dropped the forks a fair bit :icon_scratch:
2016 Tiger Sport

nellie691

Yeah that was the last owner... He reckoned it improved it, made the steering quicker or something ! Not really sure whether to leave it or put it back, it seems to handle fine.

Bixxer Bob

Don't quote me, but I think the fork drop isn't as radical as it looks, the early 955s had different head geometry to the later ones so it'll be quick to steer but not so bad as to be unstable.  If she shakes her head a bit that'll be a clue.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nellie691

Well its the first big traillie I've ridden and I love it  - its seems very planted and doesn't appear to shake its head at all...So ill probably just leave it alone for the time being.

But it certainly is all there, I could pick my old TL1000s up at the rear and manhandle it around, tried this with the tiger and something popped in my back lol

Bixxer Bob

First rule: if it works, don't eff with it.

Chris Canning

It's all very well having the forks up through the yokes that much but on a 19" front tyre  :icon_eek: 10 mm tops,all part of when I went to a 17 start leaning on a 19" hoop and it's all going end in tears.

Having said the above the 955's used to come like such when delivered in the crate and I've known people ride the bike as is because the muppet who did I the PDI didn't set them flush

Bixxer Bob

Was my foggy memory correct regarding the head geometry though Chris?  I thought the later Girlies had a steeper rake angle so were more affected by the drop than the early ones?

Chris Canning

Yup the latter mag wheel ones do have a steeper hard angle,so go replicating the photo on a later bike and you really are in for an interesting time.