News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Check Engine light - you guys are so smart

Started by atokad, March 08, 2016, 05:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

atokad

Just a nod to BixxerBob and Mustang for running this site, and everyone else that contributes - this site rocks!  Did my first valve check, no shims needed, but had my Mustang tool on hand!  Also did a TB balance, thanks EB where ever you are nowadays.

Well after putting it all back together I had the CHECK ENGINE light on! Crap. what did I do wrong?  All was good during the TB balance?  Put the airbox back on, check. Plugged everything back in correctly, check.  Well, maybe something got pinched or unplugged itself?

Take the tank back off, and hook it back off to the side and put the battery back (can do that now in about 8 mins) in and see what's going on. Hmm, light is still there.  Pull air box again, check it all out??  Looks ok, WTH did I do?

Time to search TigerTriple and read about Check Engine lights, am I going to have to get a Tuneboy?

Huh, seems when the battery is out for an extend period of time the light will be on for the next 3 heat cycles. Really? Kinda weird, but ok, it's running great, so enjoy the weekend.

So, this morning, after it cooled down from #3, time to check it out.  Turn the key, all the lights are on, is it really going to go out?  Start it up, wait for it.... it's still there....no wait, it just went out!!!!!

Awesome, one (of many) good reason to keep the Tiger forever!

Thanks everyone!  :eusa_clap

Bixxer Bob

Nobody buys Tuneboy now TuneECU is free. 

There is a fucntion on Tune ECU to cancel the light, but three heat cycles does the job.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

klingklang

I am the best to forget a simple stupid thing when it is time to reassemble.  Since your engine is running fine I would check for something more on the electric side. I would probably look at my gauge and dummies to see if they are all working. Specially the fuel gauge, I often forget  to plug that connector back when dropping the tank.  Check other connector if they are well plugged and fully inserted, the one at cooling pump (if you unpluged it to get more space when working) then the one one the front right of the air box.