News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Clutch steels Which direction do they go

Started by benebob, March 10, 2016, 03:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benebob

Seems I wasn't paying attention when removing the clutch today (still having hard shift issues with my 1050 clutch on the late 06).  Does the rounded side of the teeth go it or out for the steels?  Some of mine were each way (I chalk it up to my pain pills.  They were a bit sticky but nothing that I would say would cause my issue.  Regardless have the new corks soaking overnight in and want to get it back together in the am so would love some assistance on which way the steels go.

Oh and the anti judder spring (the big washer on the back) how does it go?  is it sticking out further on the inside or out?
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

JoeDirt

benebob

That much I got Joe, it is the steels I'm asking about.  Which way do they go or does it not matter.  Same with the judder spring.  Oh and fyi the ebc kit the plates are all the same color so if you get them make sure you have a gauge.
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

JoeDirt

Quote from: benebob on March 10, 2016, 01:15:57 PM
Which way do they go or does it not matter.  Same with the judder spring.

Haynes book and Triumph Service book for judder and seat...

Oh yea... the "sharp side" of the stamping. I would try and put the sharp edges facing the same direction as before. But, since it's been a while since you took it apart. It's a coin toss. I personally face all of the sharp edges towards the bike.

BTW, neither Haynes or Triumph Service book states anything about the sharp edge up or down. :qgaraduate

benebob

Yeah neither show which way the judder spring goes so pics are pretty useless so I'm assuming it doesn't really matter if it is concave or convex to the engine.  Thanks, off to put it all together after an 80 degree ski morning.
13 Tiger 800

benebob

Well all back together with freshly surfaced and checked steels, new ebc clutch and ebc springs.  Let it cure overnight as the one gasket my triumph dealer sent wasn't the right one so I used the old one with some gasket sealer, adjusted the specified 2mm of play on the lever and it clunked into first just as nastily as it was doing before.  :(  Took it for a ride and still clunks in 1st and 2nd but so far it hasn't been difficult to shift.  Still has a bit of drag when you start in first for a second.  WTF. :^_^
13 Tiger 800

Timbox2

Quote from: benebob on March 11, 2016, 09:39:58 PM
Well all back together with freshly surfaced and checked steels, new ebc clutch and ebc springs.  Let it cure overnight as the one gasket my triumph dealer sent wasn't the right one so I used the old one with some gasket sealer, adjusted the specified 2mm of play on the lever and it clunked into first just as nastily as it was doing before.  :(  Took it for a ride and still clunks in 1st and 2nd but so far it hasn't been difficult to shift.  Still has a bit of drag when you start in first for a second.  WTF. :^_^

Funny thing is, the symptoms you describe point to the clutch not fully disengaging, IE; too much free play in cable or mech. My 03 Model specifies .4 to .8mm free play. I find it difficult to measure that sort of play at the lever so I set it so that the release lever on the engine can just about move with my finger before hitting the lifter. Is your cable nice and smooth? If the cable has frayed at all inside it can also cause this
2016 Tiger Sport

benebob

Yup it is just as if it isn't disengaging fully.  I have two cables in there (like to run with a spare just in case as I had one snap on my last Tiger with zero warning).  One is new other is original to the bike but still functions as it should.  No fraying no binding etc.  I can tighten both all the way so I have zero play and gobs of tension on them  when the clutch lever is released.  The symptoms do not change.  The shifting simply reminds me of most harley's I've ridden.  I just am at a loss at this point.  Hate to think about moving on as I love the bike but it is just frustrating as anything to have something not working as it should :)
13 Tiger 800

Bixxer Bob

Did you stone off the sharp edges you mentioned earlier???
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

benebob

No sharp edges, just the rounded side and non rounded side.  The steels looked darn good, just a quick cleaning up with some 220 grit sand paper.
13 Tiger 800