News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

GrubScrew

Started by Steveboot, March 13, 2016, 03:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steveboot

Replacing all the brake pads and rotors, got to the last (front) brake and the grub screw covering the allen bolt that holds the pads in place is completely frozen. Shot it with penetrating fluid and waited a day and still no joy....

Next step - drill it out?  And how bad would it be to not replace it....?

JoeDirt

Have you tried everything else first?

Use a standard/flat screw driver that fits the slot tightly. And if you happen to have a Craftsman style screwdriver there is a trick you can do show below. You can push and turn with more force. I do not condone the miss-use of tools but some times you have to just get the job done. Also, if you have a standard/flat driver bit... you can use a 1/4" socket with a socket wrench to get more torque.

Don't forget to put some anti-seize on the threads. :icon_salut:

BTW, I think that's why they make those screw drivers with a square profile. :icon_rolleyes:

cba191

I bought an impact screwdriver after seeing how quick and easy it was.  A guy used one at the shop I took the caliper to.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NPPATS?keywords=impact%20screwdriver&qid=1457895450&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

You just place it and hit it with a BFH
'02 Tiger.  She's the awesome sauce

Bixxer Bob

:iagree

Mine are always seized, even after assembling with grease, and always submit to a quick tap with the impact driver.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: JoeDirt on March 13, 2016, 05:38:02 PM
BTW, I think that's why they make those screw drivers with a square profile. :icon_rolleyes:

:nod
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Steveboot

Used a screwdriver bit in a 3/8 inch socket wrench, and applied enough force to think I was going to pop an aneurism.... Probably didn't spell that correctly, and didn't get the grub screw out either....

Tomorrow going to invest in an impact driver...

JoeDirt

Quote from: Steveboot on March 14, 2016, 02:40:11 AM
Used a screwdriver bit in a 3/8 inch socket wrench, and applied enough force to think I was going to pop an aneurism.... Probably didn't spell that correctly, and didn't get the grub screw out either....

Tomorrow going to invest in an impact driver...

Hey, I slipped a pipe over my 3/8" wrench the last time I did mine. Sounded like a gun going off, when it popped. :bug_eye

nickjtc

Quote from: JoeDirt on March 14, 2016, 03:25:59 AM
Sounded like a gun going off, when it popped. :bug_eye

I've had that experience too...
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Bigfeesh

The impact driver is your friend  :bowdown
Tiptop

Bixxer Bob

You'll wonder how you ever managed without one.  You can fit sockets to some of them them as well. 
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

cba191

Exactly!  I  don't know why I never got one before, but they are pretty cool.
'02 Tiger.  She's the awesome sauce

Dyn Blin

A little heat from a soldering iron can help too.  I often run into prior owner applied thread locker in some strange places.  Even red locker dissolve in a few seconds with a bit of heat and beeswax.

A  method that gives a bit of tolerance & protection for heavy handed tightening-  a visit to the local hardware store for rubber grommets that are meant to allow a seal for pass-through wiring.  I've installed one for every fairing mounting hole,  and it's saved me from cracking those plastics with my ham-fisted tendencies.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Steveboot

The impact driver did the trick! Brakes now finished and shes ready for inspection. Thanks folks!