News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Where to put an Alarm

Started by orange99, March 14, 2016, 09:29:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orange99

Hi - I'm planning on installing a Meta alarm on my 2006 Girly but I can't find any space under the seat?

Where have others had their alarm units fitted - I beleive Triumph offered the dreaded Datatool as an option so there must be room somewhere?

2011 Yamaha TDM900                                                   2018 Tiger Sport
2008 Yamaha XJR1300

Bixxer Bob

Take the rack off and the cowl underneath it, there is space there, that's where the factory fitted Dirtyfool goes.  The loom has a bypass plug which, if you remove it, should take the new alarm wiring.  Keep the bypass plug handy (hide it on the bike somewhere but not where a thief can find it)  for when the alrm goes tits up.

Take care when you refit the cowl, make sure to get all the plastics lined up with the reliefs on the bolts so you don't crush or crack them.

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

orange99

Cheers - I did wonder if there was room under there but hadn't got round to removing the rack and cowl yet.
2011 Yamaha TDM900                                                   2018 Tiger Sport
2008 Yamaha XJR1300

fattyjr

In all honesty, alarms are a waste of time especially on a bike that is 10+years old.  since all the triumph forums speak of this " bypass " plug (my triumphs all have them), don't you think someone who WANTS your bike they will know how and where the plug is and what to do?

Get yourself a decent chain/lock and anchor point and be done with it.

If a theif want's your goods, all it takes is time and the right tools.

98 tiger 885i, 2001 Daytona 955i, 92 trident/sprint 900, 98 trophy 1200, 96 trophy 900, 59 t120 bonnieville, 64 t120 bonnieville, 63, tiger t100s/s, 98 tl1000s, 07 Buell xb1200, 98 husqvarna sm610  x2, 81 husqvarna cr500, 84 husqvarna cr500, 98 xvs650, 90 sportster 883/1200 race bike. And a few more

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

fattyjr

another thing to remember is you can buy a good range of cordless tools now for not a lot of money. 

Best thing to do is park your bike in places where there are a people knocking about all the time and when it's at home, make it take time to pinch your stuff.  Theifs don't like time.

Then again, me and the old man have been called out too many times to people in cars that have had the igniton switch fail or lost keys and we have been drilling the locks out to recover the car and we have NEVER been challanged even when a police car drove by
98 tiger 885i, 2001 Daytona 955i, 92 trident/sprint 900, 98 trophy 1200, 96 trophy 900, 59 t120 bonnieville, 64 t120 bonnieville, 63, tiger t100s/s, 98 tl1000s, 07 Buell xb1200, 98 husqvarna sm610  x2, 81 husqvarna cr500, 84 husqvarna cr500, 98 xvs650, 90 sportster 883/1200 race bike. And a few more

Timbox2

Quote from: fattyjr on March 26, 2016, 09:01:08 PM
another thing to remember is you can buy a good range of cordless tools now for not a lot of money. 

Best thing to do is park your bike in places where there are a people knocking about all the time and when it's at home, make it take time to pinch your stuff.  Theifs don't like time.

Then again, me and the old man have been called out too many times to people in cars that have had the igniton switch fail or lost keys and we have been drilling the locks out to recover the car and we have NEVER been challanged even when a police car drove by

A few years ago a UK Bicycle magazine chained a bike up outside a busy tube station, then got purposely dodgy looking guys with chain cutters etc to steal the bikes, never got challenged once, sign of the times Im afraid. Have to agree about alarm/immobilisers though, only person its likely to stop riding the bike is you
2016 Tiger Sport

JayDub

Quote from: fattyjr on March 26, 2016, 07:12:51 PM
In all honesty, alarms are a waste of time especially on a bike that is 10+years old.  since all the triumph forums speak of this " bypass " plug (my triumphs all have them), don't you think someone who WANTS your bike they will know how and where the plug is and what to do?

Get yourself a decent chain/lock and anchor point and be done with it.

If a theif want's your goods, all it takes is time and the right tools.
:iagree too
get a decent case hardened chain with quality lock, and chain it to something immovable... I've seen bikes lifted by 4 guys into a van with the alarm screeching and lights flashing, in a city center, in daytime - nobody stopped them.
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."