News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chinese Rotors?

Started by RumRunnerGuy, March 16, 2016, 02:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RumRunnerGuy

Need new front rotors for my Cast wheel Girly.... 

The EBC's are a little pricey and OEM replacements are down right stupid.  Anyone try any of the made in China rotors on their Girlies?

JoeDirt

I was looking at Chinese rotors before I went with EBC rotors. I was attracted to the price but, was always concerned about the quality. You can buy (2) sets at a lower price and still be ahead of (1) set at the regular price. I hate doing it one time... :icon_rolleyes:

HockleyBoy

Put these on mine a 1,000 or so miles back, cheap enough, cant really tell the difference between them and the OEMs. Only time will tell how well they wear.

http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/cast-wheel-tiger-955i-2004-06-front-brake-discs-1xpair-only-14999-7139-p.asp
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Dyn Blin

I swapped some wheels and used some C-Bay sourced rotors, front and rear,  knowing full well I might encounter quality issues, but resolving the cost- quality calculus in my head as justified.  After running them on my annual 2400 mile "Family Loop" tour last year, noted good wear on the rear, but some cracks in the rear rotor around the bolt-holes to the wheel.  Fronts looked OK upon close examination, but then progressively warped over the next 1000K.  I wasn't miffed, figured it was a worthwhile experiment. 

Full disclosure, I'm 6'1", 210# (15 stone for you, HB) and pack for single travel in October conditions, so they were stress-tested under load. 

We all can't be as good as Mr Dirt with his amazing Amazon-Karma-Fu for mis-priced EBC kit!

This is why we can't have nice things.

JoeDirt

Quote from: HockleyBoy on March 16, 2016, 09:53:11 AM
Put these on mine a 1,000 or so miles back, cheap enough, cant really tell the difference between them and the OEMs. Only time will tell how well they wear.

Is there a picture or link we aren't seeing?

RumRunnerGuy

Thanks for the feedback guys.  The other thing that bothers me is that EBC (or anyone else) doesn't seem to offer Wave style rotors for the cast wheel bikes.  I guess I wouldn't feel as bad spending the money on those lol.

Bigfeesh

Is there a link or location to see theses discs? Are they wave discs? taverymuchlike
Tiptop

HockleyBoy

Quote from: JoeDirt on March 16, 2016, 10:02:04 PM
Is there a picture or link we aren't seeing?

Sorry, must have lost the link somehow  :icon_redface:. Its there now!
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Bigfeesh

I fitted the squaredeals discs last year, seem a rough finish, even on the ground surface, otherwise they seem to stop ok even wi a lardy like moi onboard her!  :bad
Tiptop

HockleyBoy

Quote from: Bigfeesh on March 18, 2016, 12:04:45 PM
I fitted the squaredeals discs last year, seem a rough finish, even on the ground surface, otherwise they seem to stop ok even wi a lardy like moi onboard her!  :bad

Mine were a little rough too to start but seem to be smoothing out ok as I get the miles on.

Dutch

The big 'problem' of any product ex China is the consistency of the quality. You never know what factory they came from or what production line. You might get a good product, a very good or good enough product three times or five times and then you get a bad quality product. It's a bit of a lottery in my opinion.

Depending on the product you can decide wether or not to take that risk. Some bolt on accessorie? Why not. Worst case you loose some money. Brake lever? No thanks. Worst case you loose your live!

nickjtc

My biggest "issues" with stuff ordered out of China is that shipping takes forever (often two months or more to get to Canada) and more often than not the item doesn't even get here. Fortunately the vendors have, without exception, been very helpful in resolving the problem.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"