News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear Shock, Round 1 & 2 now

Started by Timbox2, March 20, 2016, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

So, in readiness for the arrival of the Wilbers in a week or so Ive been spraying plus-gas into the bung holes for the last week. Ive also been gathering bits to make a bush removal tool, so today Id thought Id have a test run.
Id bought a length of 10mm stud, some nuts and huge square washers etc and found what looked like a promising spacer.

Mounted it all to the bike using a large socket for it to go through, the big spanner is to level to socket as the swingarm is tapered. That spanner is actually a headset spanner which I must have bought 6 years ago and forgot I had

And proceeded to hang on the nut, its quite unnerving tightening and tightening, and then suddenly, "CRACK". Yippee I thought, its started to move, uhh, wrong, its actually stripped the thread off the bar, bugger.

Need some stronger stud :BangHead.  Or is it swingarm off with shock and take to my mate with a hydraulic press??
2016 Tiger Sport

Sin_Tiger

Will M12 go through? Try putting a thicker washer or two washers as they usually deform and end up adding resistance rather than allowing it to be transmitted to the bush. Lubricate the thread and the plate under the nut to reduce the resistance. Rather than keep forcing it, put two nuts on the end of the stud to protect it and give it a solid whack, then try tension again. If there has been any movement you'll feel it

Not so brave method, take it to a workshop with a proper press and bush collection  :augie
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

First point!! Where is the heat on bottom of the shock in this process :icon_wink:

Second If it's seized which you bet your life it is,then it's plenty of the first and drift bar of the said size and and a lump hammer,and if it all goes shit faced!! You'll be wishing you'd have taken the swing arm out so you can get better access and with the swing arm on its side you can go in vertical with the same bar and lump hammer :icon_lol:

Both the stock shock and the Ohlins have a bearing on the bottom eye and I don't think the Hagon has ?

JoeDirt

nickjtc

"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Timbox2

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 20, 2016, 06:00:28 PM
Will M12 go through? Try putting a thicker washer or two washers as they usually deform and end up adding resistance rather than allowing it to be transmitted to the bush. Lubricate the thread and the plate under the nut to reduce the resistance. Rather than keep forcing it, put two nuts on the end of the stud to protect it and give it a solid whack, then try tension again. If there has been any movement you'll feel it

Not so brave method, take it to a workshop with a proper press and bush collection  :augie

No, its a 10mm hole in the bush.  I'll try the lubrication, Ive already tried twatting the hell out of it, but its made really difficult by the poxy exhaust obscuring half the hole and making it almost impossible to hit the thing straight on. In answer to Chris and heat, I wasnt sure about that but Ive got a heat gun so may give it a go. I do know that I wouldnt be the first to end up taking the swingarm off, the ally wheel Tiger was a breeze in comparison to this. Maybe I should ride it up to Revs and get John to fit it for me, he told me £50 to fit though Id be looking at May before he could.
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

No reflection on you Timothy!! but probably the lazy bugger before and plenty on here it's called lack of maintenance and I know the Hagon is reknown for seizing on the bottom eye,I lost track of the number of times I've taken mine out,just take the bolt out and tap the pin out with a long screw driver,in fact I have to have the swing arm supported because I know it comes out that easy.

Sounds daft!! have you had the bike of the side stand so the Plus Gas goes the right way  :icon_redface:

If it were me!! I'd take the arm out,tip it on it's side,heat it up,make sure you have a dam good drift and twat it out,but really it's a two man job you need someone to be holding it while you can get the drift on right.

PeteH

Timbox, have a quick gander at my post - Boingy Bits... did exactly the same as you and ended up removing the swing arm with shock still attached as the bottom mount was seized solid, had it on a break press with 100 feckin bar on it and the bottom mount just split, that when the cavalry rode in.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Timbox2

Quote from: PeteH on March 21, 2016, 01:05:38 AM
Timbox, have a quick gander at my post - Boingy Bits... did exactly the same as you and ended up removing the swing arm with shock still attached as the bottom mount was seized solid, had it on a break press with 100 feckin bar on it and the bottom mount just split, that when the cavalry rode in.

Aha, cheers Pete, well Ive got a shock coming anyway so I aint too bothered if the same happens. Im putting everything back together for now until the Wilbers actually turns up. It wouldnt surprise me if the same thing is going on with mine. One question for you though, when the mount split did the sleeve still come out useable?

Oh yeah, and thanks for the reminder ref Sprint Manufacturing, forgot about them, they do a load of stuff, some really good prices
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Not a fan of pressing stuff unless it is being put together because as above the only option is to bulge,heat and shock treatment and I see that technic used on a daily basis.

PeteH

Timbox, Yes the sleeve was able to be used again - quick clean up on the lathe, that was after using a grinding disc to remove the bearing housing...it realy was that bad :icon_redface:
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Timbox2

Quote from: Chris Canning on March 21, 2016, 09:26:33 AM
Not a fan of pressing stuff unless it is being put together because as above the only option is to bulge,heat and shock treatment and I see that technic used on a daily basis.

Hmmm, ok, will have to bring the ol safecracking kit out from retirement :bad
2016 Tiger Sport

Timbox2

Im getting a dab hand at putting the washer & nut back on the lower bolt :hat10.  All back together for now so I can use the bike Easter weekend, though in typical fashion apart from GOOD Friday, the rest of the weekend looks pants
2016 Tiger Sport

Timbox2

Well, that actually wasnt too bad, got to this point in an hour, added benefit of now being able to check the swingarm bearings

Later on I'll get some heat on it and start twatting the lower bush, but  the Dogs need a run now so they come first, ahh.

PS: I found that I had to loosen off the R/H rear engine mount bolt a tad before the arm would pull out cleanly
2016 Tiger Sport

Timbox2

Fast forward and after about 5 mins of heat gun and then a suitable bolt and drift it was out, ok Mr Canning, you were right again :icon_redface:

looks like Im gonna need a new pivot though, the Hagon has a bronze bush and has worn the pivot pin, oh well. Good news is that the swingarm bearings are perfect, still loads of very fresh looking blue grease.

2016 Tiger Sport