News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Mixing tyre types, front and back.

Started by nickjtc, March 25, 2016, 10:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I was always under the impression that you were NEVER to mix bias ply and radial tyres on the same bike.

Now I read (in RIDER mag) that the new Bonneville has a bias ply front and radial rear as fitted stock. :m
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Nick Calne

Remember this? They didn't in the past for some reason. :nap
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Nick Calne

While I was looking for that video this piece of sage advice came up...

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

nickjtc

All so very wholesome!! Was that an old Ariel Leader or Arrow, I wonder?

But back on topic: what about mixing tyre types on a bike?..... obviously it is ok.......

Mustang

my solo steamer does it alot ................
what about a bias ply antique front and a car tire radial rear ? (hack)

last time I looked the sky was still where it's supposed to be  :*

JayDub

Quote from: Nick Calne on March 26, 2016, 08:28:10 AMRemember this? They didn't in the past for some reason. :nap
That was an Austin A40, my dad had one and thats how they handled on any tyres  :augie
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

nickjtc

Quote from: Mustang on March 26, 2016, 04:45:45 PM
what about a bias ply antique front and a car tire radial rear ?:*

Didn't the early Boss Hoss bikes use a car tyre on the back?

JayDub

Quote from: nickjtc on March 26, 2016, 05:48:27 PM
Didn't the early Boss Hoss bikes use a car tyre on the back?
Isn't that 'darksiding? - a most dubious culture - I really don't see why its so popular, apart from giving the person the feeling of having a bigger willy?  :icon_rolleyes:

http://ridermagazine.com/2012/06/11/tales-from-the-dark-side-putting-car-tires-on-motorcycles/
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

Mustang

Quote from: JayDub on March 26, 2016, 10:25:56 PM
Isn't that 'darksiding? - a most dubious culture - I really don't see why its so popular, apart from giving the person the feeling of having a bigger willy?  :icon_rolleyes:

http://ridermagazine.com/2012/06/11/tales-from-the-dark-side-putting-car-tires-on-motorcycles/
:nono

for some it's the long distance mileage .
for others it's traction in the winter snow.

for some it's economy ie some scooter tires are upwards of 200 bucks but the same size car tire can be had for a 100 and wi wear 10:1 easily over the scooter tire
I went from having to replace the rear every 2k , to "it still looks new 3 years later " ( I honestly doubt I'll ever need to change it again)
on my hack it was a no brainer , 

tankerman

Sorry kiddies (age and anorak attack).The bike is a Norton, possibly a Dominator Deluxe and the car is an Austin or Morris 1100. In the very early 70's I had an ex police Wolseley 6/99. This had crossply tires on the front end and radials on the rear, (cos they were cheap and my mates dad owned a scrap yard!) The front end always used to let go first whilst undertaking "ahem" spirited driving, (well it was ex police) The law in those days stated you could not mix radials and c/ply tyres on the same axle and you could have the radials on the rear and crossplys on the front but not vice versa! Sorry, anorak attack over!

nickjtc

Quote from: Mustang on March 27, 2016, 12:39:05 AM
I went from having to replace the rear every 2k , to "it still looks new 3 years later " ( I honestly doubt I'll ever need to change it again)
on my hack it was a no brainer ,

Erm, yes, my sage friend. But on a hack you do not have to lean over to go around a corner. But you knew that, anyway.

nickjtc

We're a little off topic here, since car tyres do not enter into the mix on two wheels. And sorry, that to many people cost is a motivating factor to the whole subject of tyres. Me included, incidentally.

However, on the subject of wear, given that the average rider hereabouts (and this is dealer estimation, not mine) only rides about 5,000km a year, they will never wear out a set of tyres.

But back on topic. I personally would not even think about mixing tyre TYPES on my bike. Brands, maybe, but not types.

:new_popcornsmiley

nickjtc

Quote from: tankerman on March 27, 2016, 05:02:49 AM
The bike is a Norton, possibly a Dominator Deluxe

Ah yes, with the bath tub on the back.

And apropos of nothing, they called them skid lids in my youth.

Timbox2

I think even the older Hinkley Bonnies came with this Bias Front, Radial Rear mix, its certainly been talked about before.
2016 Tiger Sport

Mustang

Quote from: nickjtc on March 27, 2016, 05:04:52 AM
Erm, yes, my sage friend. But on a hack you do not have to lean over to go around a corner. But you knew that, anyway.
never piloted a hack ,have you ?