News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sick Tiger! - Leaking oil from exhaust / heavy smoke

Started by mvg2, March 31, 2016, 03:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mvg2

It all started innocently enough...

Several days ago I decided to replace my beat up stator cover, so I had a new cover, gasket, and oil seal all ready to go.  got everything together fired her up and everything was great for the short test ride.

next day, I fire her up and, immediately, started spewing smoke from the exhaust and leaking oil out of the exhaust connector/flange!!!  :bug_eye

took cover off and realized that I forgot to install the breather seal!!   :BangHead

Round two...

installed breather seal, took the airbox, and valve cover off, cleaned out what i could of the excessive oil and fired her up again... She is still leaking oil and spewing smoke from exhaust!! just to make sure, I did run her with the crankcase breather hose disconnected to ensure that it was still not the oil seal.

Any help suggestions would be immensely appreciated.  could it still be burning off some of the extra oil from before? Is it time to take the head off and check the exhaust valves? Clueless!

Thanks
-Mike

Mustang

no you need to clean the oil out of the air box , ya know where the air filter is , cuz thats where the breather sends the oil mist , or in your case the lack of seal filled it with oil .

That is the most likely scenario , and yeah it will need to be run for a bit b4 it's gonna quit

mvg2

Thanks mustang. I cleaned the airbox and most the oil from the head. I'm guessing that whenever the exhaust valves open the excessive oil shoots out?

could this have damaged anything?

mvg2

Little update...

Found this as it was idling yesterday  :icon_frown:

Looks like it blew the gasket? There is coolant leaking from the gasket and the hose.  At start up, there is no smoke but as it warms up, it's nothing but white smoke.

How the he'll did this happen from not putting an oil seal it? Too much oil pressure blew it?

Other than replacing the gasket, what else do I look for / diagnose? Water pump seal?

Any help Will be immensely helpful. Thanks again!

KuzzinKenny

Hey mvg2 !! Not sure what goin on in yer pic  :^_^ but before ya go rippin stuff to bits just check yer expansion tank aint overfilled as this can spill out and look like there's a leek  :icon_eek: with the bike upright the coolant should be between the Min and Max  :thumbsup

yer exhaust will produce white smoke/steam untill the engine is warm, especially when the weather is cold  :nod

if ya really think there's a blown gasket to the coolant side there should be oil floatin in the expansion tank  :^_^

KK

ps it would help us a lot if ya put in yer profile what year O Tigger were talkin about  :thumbsup
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

mvg2

Whoops! It's an 05 Girly that has been maintained well and has given me 20k of problem free smiles.

It's definitely not the normal start up white smoke. I can cover my neighbors yard with thick smoke. The smoke really starts to pour after it has ran for a minute.

In the pic, right below the exhaust flange at the cylinder head base gasket, it leaks coolant right at the corner.

Also, at the exhaust tip, there is a chocolate milk looking substance.

I'll check the coolant over for oil in it. Assuming the worse, what is the course of action for oil on the coolant side?

Mustang

Bixxer Bob

As to how; liquid oil getting past the valves into the cylinder (hence the smoke) massively increases the compression ratio.  You've been lucky to not get a complete hydraulic lock which would have bend rods and maybe the crank. 
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Timbox2

:iagree  Holes in crankcases not uncommon.  Oh, and a bit late now but did the new seal come with an insert which is meant to be left in until just before fitting.??
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

Evil Betty did a great write-up on changing this seal btw....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

mvg2

It was a very informative how to.  would have went a lot better had I remembered to follow it the first time DOH! I did put it in the second time with no breather seal leaks...

been at a stand still with working on the tiger for last couple days.  I just stuffed a ktm 640 enduro in the garage :)

Hopefully i'll get a couple of minutes to get a quick compression check before I start to take the top end apart.

Another question:
  when looking at the top end parts fiche for the 05 tiger there is a gasket kit #25 and #26. anyone know if i need the whole kit, or just the cylinder head gasket? Given the price, I'm really hoping I don't need the kit! Yikes is that expensive!

link to fiche http://www.triumphestore.com/a/Triumph_2005_Tiger955i/_51507_5779627/Cylinder-Head-and-Valves/100059081-1-2.html

Timbox2

I would just buy the head gasket.  Its all the seals and the gasket for the cambox cover that sticks the price up and generally they can be re-used with a bit of RTV.

Are you aware of the possibility of disturbing the liner seals when you remove the head?
2016 Tiger Sport

mvg2

I'm actually going into this assuming I will disturb the liners. So I will have to find the appropriate silicone the manual calls for and figure a way to remove the liners without the special tool. Any ideas?

Thanks!

mvg2

Quick ? On TDC. The manual states that the alignment marks (arrows) point towards one another along with the T1 mark. While disassembling mine my alignment marks are pointing away from one another like this  <--> rather than the manual's >--<.

Is the manual wrong? Or written for an older 955?

Timbox2

Quote from: mvg2 on April 16, 2016, 08:19:16 PM
Quick ? On TDC. The manual states that the alignment marks (arrows) point towards one another along with the T1 mark. While disassembling mine my alignment marks are pointing away from one another like this  <--> rather than the manual's >--<.

Is the manual wrong? Or written for an older 955?

You need to turn another complete crankshaft revolution
2016 Tiger Sport