News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

turning spoked rims into tubeless

Started by Wilky, April 24, 2016, 07:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilky

Folks has anyone out there had a go at sealing spokes to do away with tubes?

Not sure which forum I read it on but apparently the german made rims on the Girly are good to run tubeless and I have the german ones. Plenty of info on the net about it, just wondering if any one has first hand experience on DIY methods?

Cheers Wilky in Oz.
Traveling around Australia on an unlimited time frame with my beautiful wife Diana on our 03 Tigger.

Nick Calne

Loads of people have done it on here. If you use the search button you'll come up trumps. The last notable member here to do it, from memory, was ssevy who has a steamer, so maybe start in that section.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

You have several options as to how to do it, as you will see: silicone the nipples and valve, with or without tape, or just tape itself. I did the former on my Steamer. There is a write up somewhere in the depths of the Steamer stuff. Make sure that you clean the bead area thoroughly since that is where minor leaks can happen.

Good luck with the job, and don't listen to the naysayers who will tell you that the world will stop spinning if you do it.  :thumbsup
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Mustang

Quote from: nickjtc on April 24, 2016, 04:14:02 PM
Good luck with the job, and don't listen to the naysayers who will tell you that the world will stop spinning if you do it.  :thumbsup
:mut

Wilky

Thanks folks, did a search after I posted and found reams of stuff including the doomsday sayers.

I have decided to run with the loctite 290 wicking. The tape kits look interesting but the 290 is readily available.

All this started because I picked up a screw in the rear tyre, lucklly I was just pulling into a driveway where we are staying for next 6 weeks. Pulled wheel out and discovered 4 broken spokes as well so opportune time to get it sorted.

I will post later on how it all went.
Cheers
Wilky
Traveling around Australia on an unlimited time frame with my beautiful wife Diana on our 03 Tigger.

Sasquatch

My suggestion is using Permatex Ultra Black silicone.  Very sticky, yet flexible because spokes flex.  Easy to do a repair if you get a leak in a spoke.  I have about 50k miles and about 13 years on mine and 25k miles on dad's.  Both Girly Tigers.  After you get the wheels clean, clean them again.  Then clean them again.
Sasquatch
adventurepowersports.us