News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How to improve the appearance of my engine casings etc

Started by pxm, April 25, 2016, 07:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pxm

My 12 year old Girly is looking a bit tired.  I'm not one for cleaning bikes, but enough is enough so perhaps I'll try & improve matters.

One of the tiger stripes is bubbling & although I've tried pricking with a pin & squeezing the air out, it doesn't last for long.  I've read that this is fuel coming though, but can't believe that's the case.  Suggestions?
Also, the engine casings are dull & faded.  Has anyone successfully cleaned them up back to new condition?  If so, how was it done?
The gear lever rubber has split so it's taped up.  How can Triumph ask £7 for a bit of rubber?  That's just me being tight!
The rubber strap that holds the toolkit in place has snapped too.  See above for why it's still like that.  Fixable?
Finally, should I lube the clutch cable?  The best way?  I've ridden a bike with a broken clutch cable & it's no fun.

Cheers
Paul
PS  Don't be too harsh   :thumbsup
2004 Tiger 955i, 1972 Norton Commando 750 Fastback
2016 Yamaha Tracer 900

KuzzinKenny

Hey pxm !! not a fan O cleanin stuff either but ive had good results with this stuff and its a rust preventer aswell  :thumbsup

http://www.scottoiler.com/uk/Lubes-Cleaners-Protectors/FS-365-Corrosion-Protector-1-Litre-spray/flypage.tpl.html

gear lever rubber............

http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/pattern-part-gear-lever-rubber-for-triumph-moto--oem--t2080043-28402-p.asp

just remember 2004 Tigers can be spoke wheels (99 to 04) or alloy wheels (04 to 06)

KK 

In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

pxm

Thanks KK.
I'll check out Squaredeals.  Hadn't heard of them before.
2016 Yamaha Tracer 900

Bixxer Bob

The cases come up with any sort of polish unless they've really gone grey; the problem is finding polish that doesn't contain silicone as that's what causes the bloom.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

pxm

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on April 26, 2016, 01:01:20 PM
The cases come up with any sort of polish unless they've really gone grey; the problem is finding polish that doesn't contain silicone as that's what causes the bloom.
Thanks Bob.
I'll give it a shot in an out of the way area as I don't want to wear though the paint & leave it looking even worse.
I assume they are black paint on top of grey metal casings.  If black all the way, I have no problem.
Do you know which is the case?   :^_^
2016 Yamaha Tracer 900

Bixxer Bob

I was having the same problem a while back and Black Tiger came up with the silicone free polish but I can't find mine at the moment and can't remember the name.  I'll drop him a line.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Dyn Blin

Peanut oil works very well for a restoring oil in faded black plastic motorcycle and auto trim pieces.  It'll last for months. 

If you have used a wax or silicone in the past, you'll need to remove that prior to application.  Otherwise, the white residue will come through the oil restoration in a few days. Remove before oil treatment with a rag damp with WD40 or acetone.  Keep that rag  off the painted surfaces, of course. 
This is why we can't have nice things.