News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

ECU Adaption Procedure?

Started by Timbox2, April 30, 2016, 10:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

Ok,  Ive just nicked this from a post on Adventure rider and wondered what others think, especially BB.

The ECU on the FI Tigers takes some time to re-learn after any adjustment that affects fuel and trim. You can try an "adaption" to reset the trim logic on the ECU, it's pretty easy with Tigers with an oxygen sensor. Ideally you want a TuneECU reader to check the lambda reading, but even without a setup, it will still assist the ECU re-learn with the new inputs:
Bike in neutral
Engine temp 175-210 F ("normal" operating temp)
Minimum airbox temp 70 deg F (ambient air temp)
Clutch engaged (clutch lever out),
blip the RPM to 3000 and let it drop back to idle then let it idle for at least 30 seconds still with the clutch out.
Repeat at least 10 times (5 will normally be enough, but without a ECU reading, 5 more won't hurt)

2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

Pretty much what I copied from the manual and put in the "How to" the temp conversions are about right too.  It doesn't mention the voltage range you are looking for in TuneECU but to be fair he wasn't using it anyway.

The main contention when I first wrote it up was the internpretation of clutch engaged, which was wrong in the TuneECU manual but Tom was looking at putting that right.

Doesn't work if you have the O2 bypass fitted of course.... :augie
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Timbox2

Oh ok, I thought that the only way to reset adaption with an O2 sensor was via Tune ECU. My sensor is back online, my bike didnt like the eliminator.
2016 Tiger Sport

Dyn Blin

Whoa- Tiger riders are a tightly enmeshed lot!

I posted that missive on ADVRider to help an inmate troubleshooting an issue after having his TPS worked on.  I took it from an (older) version of the TuneECU manual. 

I see it's been modified slightly in the newest revision, but generally the process should still stand with one need for clarification:  Clutch "engagement":

I've always presumed the definition of an "engaged" clutch would meeting the standard for any machinery:  "to couple the power source with to the drive mechanism".  on a motorcycle (or car) I would intuit this means to *not* pull the clutch lever (or press the clutch pedal). 

Regardless of the correctness of definition, can any reader verify the intent of the instructions on Tune ECU?

(I've also clarified my post on the ADVRider thread on what models this should work for, my original was a bit broad)

Thanks for the bandwidth.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Bixxer Bob

I posted the procedure in our "How To" section some time ago after being sent a factory manual.  I had some discussions with Tom Hambuerg from TuneECU when I noticed the clutch position in their manual was at odds with the Triumph one.  He double checked with his spannerman and agreed that lever out / clutch engaged was correct and was going to change the TECU manual.

The process is the same for all Triumphs using the SAGEM 1000 ECU.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Over the years I've tried allsorts,just dug my Tiger out of mothballs for the trip to the NW200 in a weeks time,it seems to have 2 tickover speeds 1100 and 1500 depending on how it feels :icon_lol:

Bixxer Bob

I've given up even thinking about it, it's like a woman, some days (like yesterday) it's as right as rain for a 20 mile run.  Stopped, went into shop, came out of shop, started, revs dropped, stopped.  Coaxed into life, grumbled all the way out of town, then decided to be happy again. 

:sign13

Thinking about it, the tank is well down, I might do a water check before I fill it up..... 

Timbox2

your both right, mines actually been running better and better the more I use it. The run up to Stafford last week was brilliant. Late yesterday afternoon I decide to nip into the garage and check things over and thought, I'll just give her a start-up. Weird, she started up and coughed and spluttered while trying to tick-over at 1000, then after about 2 or 3 seconds the revs climbed to about 1500 and then she was happy, I can only think that the recent change in ambient temp fooled her for a bit, like one of my whippets, she aint the smartest :ImaPoser
2016 Tiger Sport