News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

My first coolant spew.

Started by Timbox2, May 04, 2016, 04:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

Never had this on the last Tiger, and this one hasnt shown any signs of a potential problem until just now.  Been on a reasonable run down to Manorbier(Pembroke). Just as I park the bike up in the garage and turn off, spew, gushing out of the oveflow by the swingarm, and I can hear it gurgling through the system, then some more spewing. So, rad cap? Funny thing is the gauge hadnt gone that high, and the fan didnt even come on? I'll wait for her to cool down before I have a better look.

Oh yeah, and the output shaft seal is leaking, Fowlers reckon they sell loads for all models with the 955/1050 lump.
2016 Tiger Sport

Dyn Blin

My first test would be the radiator cap.  Triumph seems to have fixed the problems that led many of us to seek Non-Triumph replacements.

I lack the deft fingers of some, and would take the tank off to replace the pressure cap.  If you share the same ham-fists I do and remove the tank, it might be worthwhile to remove the thermostat and perform the boiling water test to see of it opens.
This is why we can't have nice things.

T3mike

Interesting... riding home from work last nite and I notice the temp gauge is nearing the red. Pulled over and I get a puddle from the overflow under the swingarm, fan was on. After a little cool down I get home and examine. Notice my hose from the pump is sucked in. Ordered the cap from the dealer and will dive in this weekend. Flushed and bled last year. My understanding is: spewing from the rear and sucked in hose leads to cap. Boiling coolant and spewing from the expansion tank is thermostat.
The cross reference about caps was outdated and I understand the model number changed on the Stant cap. I found a post on the RAT about a Subaru cap but for 15 bux and uncertainty I went with the Triumph model. Should be her by Friday. 
05 Tiger, 01 Bonnie, 11 VStrom

Timbox2

Quote from: T3mike on May 05, 2016, 06:46:46 AM
Interesting... riding home from work last nite and I notice the temp gauge is nearing the red. Pulled over and I get a puddle from the overflow under the swingarm, fan was on. After a little cool down I get home and examine. Notice my hose from the pump is sucked in. Ordered the cap from the dealer and will dive in this weekend. Flushed and bled last year. My understanding is: spewing from the rear and sucked in hose leads to cap. Boiling coolant and spewing from the expansion tank is thermostat.
The cross reference about caps was outdated and I understand the model number changed on the Stant cap. I found a post on the RAT about a Subaru cap but for 15 bux and uncertainty I went with the Triumph model. Should be her by Friday.

Yep, yesterday was the first day around here that the ambient temp was quite a bit higher. I actually flushed and refilled about 2 months back, but Im gonna order a new cap and thermostat as the price on the stat has halved now. The bike is 13 years old so probably needs a bit of TLC now.
2016 Tiger Sport

Timbox2

Rad cap, Thermostat and O ring on its way to me from Jack Lilley, oh well, I can fit the new Hose I bought 2 months ago and never got round to fitting :icon_biggrin:
2016 Tiger Sport

T3mike

Picked up my cap today. Thermo out of stock... 48 bux seems pricey. I thought there was a parts cross reference thread aboard but I cant seem to find it.

I consider my self lucky that I have 2 Triumph dealers within 20 miles of the house if I need them. Got to check out the new T120 Bonnie and Thrux R. Nice bits on that R but I am still a sucker for the pre 08 AC Twins. Have a 01 Bonnie as well.

Timbox2

Quote from: T3mike on May 06, 2016, 04:38:17 AM
Picked up my cap today. Thermo out of stock... 48 bux seems pricey. I thought there was a parts cross reference thread aboard but I cant seem to find it.

I consider my self lucky that I have 2 Triumph dealers within 20 miles of the house if I need them. Got to check out the new T120 Bonnie and Thrux R. Nice bits on that R but I am still a sucker for the pre 08 AC Twins. Have a 01 Bonnie as well.

I paid £16 yesterday ($24), for the stat. But, Triumph UK have lowered the price on a lot of the older parts over here. Another example is the Ignition coil sticks which are £45   now and used to be near £100, the shrewd people are stocking up
2016 Tiger Sport

Timbox2

All back together now, new hose, new rad cap and new stat but Im fairly sure there was nothing wrong with it,  like BB just did the very slow fill until I had fluid in the bleed hole and that was it, tank back on fired up and waited till the fan came on, no leaks all seems a good un. The output shaft seal can wait for now.

2016 Tiger Sport

T3mike

New cap for me and back to normal temps.