News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

955 oily exhaust smell ??

Started by Tiger-G, May 04, 2016, 11:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger-G

Hi all, long time no see  :thumbsup

My 2006 '955 is out of hibernation for 2016, with the usual oil and filter change.

I noticed last year (and probably the year before that too) that the oily smell from the exhaust is getting more noticeable. It would be nice to pin down just what it is ??  This year it smells real bad. As if it's running rich and burning oil. it still runs fine, and pulls all the way round to the red line.

Just for info, it hasn't had a dealer service, had the throttle bodies balanced, or been put on an ECU test since it was under warranty 7 years ago. All I ever do is check the valve clearances, change the oil and filter, and blow the air filter out.

With it being electronic ignition, can it run out of tolerances, or does the ECU always keep things in check ??

Had the engine check light come on today too  :icon_sad:

Your thoughts would be warmly welcomed   :icon_biggrin:

Merci,
Graeme.
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Bixxer Bob

Is it using any oil Graeme??

First place I'd look is the airbox.  If the seal on the altenator starts to leak the oil ends up in the airbox and gets burned.

BTW, I'm at Croft for classic bike racing this weekend; not far from you.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Vampyre

you can also perform one simple test. just take a clean sheet of paper, put it near the exhaust and twist a throttle couple of times. If you will see an oil stains on it, then I have grave news for you:)
885i T709 1999

Tiger-G

I'm going to keep a closer eye on how much oil it uses, but it does use some.

Will check the airbox when I blow the air filter through. Can you keep blowing the air filter through, or does it need changing every few years ?? It always looks pretty clean to me.

What I'd really like to know is, will the ECU keep the values right, even without any maintenance ??

Thanks so far  :-)
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Bixxer Bob

Blowing the filter through won't clean it completely, especially if you're oiling it with an oil mist from the alternator.  Treat her to a new one, but be prepared for a few miles of re-adjustment as the ECU gets used to it.

The ECU trims the fuelling based on what it reads at the O2 sensor in the downpipe, but it's a crude system and can only do so much.  There's a reason why a normal service includes everything that's shown in the owners manual for the number of miles covered.

I've said it many times before but the single best thing you can do for your bike is balance the TBs.  It only takes a couple of minutes while you have the tank off. A new set of plusg wouldn't go amiss either.

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Tiger-G

Thanks for the info Bob, that's what I needed to hear   :icon_wink:

The engine management light's been on for a few days now and won't reset. Wonder if the O2 sensor has decided to quit. Will need to get the ECU read and see what the problems are.

Cheers   :icon_biggrin:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Chris Canning

Might be the OCD in me but I never put a bike away for the winter with old oil in it.

There's a link on here about how the prices have dropped for spares for our old Tigers,paid close to 100 quid for a coil/HT cap now half of that!!.

Air filter wise I run a K+N and even then after a couple of cleans buy a new one it's the very least I owe it,it's been a grand old girl.

At the risk of standing in the corner with a hat with D on it,the one thing I have never seen mentioned when balancing the TB's you balance 2 and 3 to 1 because you can't ajust it.

Since buying an XR BM life has become a tad complicated with the Tiger because the game really has moved on but we go away on Tuesday to the NW200 and wheeled the Tiger out a week ago and for the first time ever burned a little oil on start up and it took a couple of minutes to settle down although that was with 6 month old fuel as well.

Finally done a few miles and got it settled down of sorts these Tigers seem to sort their ECU's when they feel like it,with 720cc of 15wt in the front forks done over the winter so when the front end is warmed up you can really lean on the front end.

Tiger-G

Cheers Chris, never heard that one about the oil change before the winter put away ??
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Chris Canning

If you were an engine!! How would you like being tucked up for the winter with last years sludge inside you :icon_biggrin:

As mine also gets an oil change after a decent trip as well guess it must have had 25 oil changes in 15 years of ownership and the old girl has severed us well.