News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Better wind protection

Started by ghulst, May 05, 2016, 11:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghulst

Guys, I have done quite a bit of mileage on the steamer now and it strikes me as odd that my old Transalp has better wind protection than my steamer. It seems like the standard windshield is lower than the TA's and as the whole thing is narrower, there is more wind from lower on my body and  pushing against me.

Have you guys got the same experience and what have you done to improve the situation? (As I do ride long stretches for work, I would like to improve this situation or I will find myself eying other bikes soon...)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Nick Calne

Power bronze screen works well. I have one and have never really thought about further wind protection.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

threepot

I have a slightly higher screen on mine which makes a difference. But never been bothered about wind turbulence. Only seems relevant doing high speed ,,straight line riding? Just tuck down a bit. The pleasure the bike gives otherwise compensates :thumbsup
95 Super111
96 Tiger

ghulst

Quote from: Nick Calne on May 06, 2016, 12:06:37 AM
Power bronze screen works well. I have one and have never really thought about further wind protection.
I did a search for it, but didn't find one on their site for the steamer. :icon_sad:

Quote from: threepot on May 06, 2016, 12:13:42 AM
I have a slightly higher screen on mine which makes a difference. But never been bothered about wind turbulence. Only seems relevant doing high speed ,,straight line riding? Just tuck down a bit. The pleasure the bike gives otherwise compensates :thumbsup
Euhm, yes. That is mostly relevant for high speed straight line riding. Which is what I mean by doing long stretches for work. That generally involves doing 200-400 miles on a day on motorways. And tucking down is fine for a bit, but not for those kind of distances.  :icon_wink:

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Nick Calne

London_Phil

Ive got a brand new, unused clear one for half that price, plus postage. Probably get told of for posting in wrong thread, but hey ho. Im a rebel without a clue, me.....

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: London_Phil on May 06, 2016, 07:51:33 PM
Ive got a brand new, unused clear one for half that price, plus postage. Probably get told of for posting in wrong thread, but hey ho. Im a rebel without a clue, me.....

You're more OT than I can usually manage  :icon_rolleyes: . Nobody going to the Netherlands in the near future?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ghulst

Yes, I've got the hand guards. The only question that remains for me is whether the power bronze screen would also help in de width of the air stream. I feel I have less wind on me on my 87 Transalp than on my steamer. And that has the standard low screen as well.

nickjtc

I'm curious about this topic, never having been a fan of windshields anyway. How fast are you going that you need to have no sense of the air moving by you??
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Aeschere

I know what he means. Living in The Netherlands myself as well I am doing around 140km a day on the highway with speeds varying between 100 and 140 km/h. The wind is led to my helmet causing quite a rumble, even with earplugs.

It seems that the windshield on your TA is more vertical causing the wind to be led over your head instead of against your head. I have been looking around for other windshields as well and came across some pictures of someone who has an almost original windscreen but with a small vertical area on top. I'll try to find the picture again.

ghulst

Like @aeschere says, I often do long stretches of 75/85mph on highways. Usually for at least 2 hours or more. Then it gets tiring. ;)

Nick Calne

Yup. Couldn't live without it now. Quieter, warmer and more stable but most of all less tiring. :rrr

fishnbiker

I had a Secdem (French) that worked well until I broke it. Next, a PowerBronze. also broken. Now I use the top edge of the Powerbronze just below the tiny stock. screen. Just enough deflection to get a decent dead air space.

Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

ghulst

Quote from: London_Phil on May 06, 2016, 07:51:33 PM
Sent you a pm.